Refurbished or used?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PUCCY, Jul 5, 2008.

1. PUCCY macrumors regular

I want to buy my first mac today. I am thinking of a used or a refurbished (if the store has any) otherwise thru craig's list.

Which is likely to have less problems, a refurbished or a used mac?

Im gonna keep it for several months and then resell it to get a new macbook or macbook pro when the new ones come out.

any suggestions?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I personally would probably do the refurb, but I'm just cautious
    (you may get a warranty of some kind I think, but probably pay more this way)

If you buy from a reputable seller you will probably be fine either way

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Beware of Craigslist... lots of scammers. Keep you eyes open, check everything 3 times, and look both ways before crossing the street!

4. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

Thnx guys!!

do u think if I go to an apple store they would have refurbished ones or is it only avaliable online?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's more likely you'll find exactly what you're looking for online. An individual store won't have as big a selection, obviously.

6. PLin macrumors 6502

The Apple retail stores don't sell refurbished products anymore. Actually, they used to call them refreshed. Now they send all the open box returns and demonstration models back to corporate.

7. G0D macrumors newbie

Apple does sell refurbished through their main site. However if you can get a student discount, you can also get an itouch and printer for free/rebate

here are the links
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...specialdeals&sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&mco=MTE3NzE

8. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help. So I went to the store and they didnt carry refurbished products they told me I can get it online. Well, I am travelling for 6 weeks tomorrow so there is no way in hell to get this before then especially that tomorrow is Sunday.
    I went ahead and I bought the white Macbook the 2GB, 160 GB w/ Superdrive.

Since I am a student, I got the black nano (I already got the 16gb touch).
    The guy helped me fill out the form for the rebate, I like the fact that you dont have to cut out the box for that.

Ultimately I am waiting for the new Macbooks or Macbook pros but since this PC i got is falling apart I wanna get something to use till the new ones come out.

In 6 months or so I am going to sell this (Im saving the box) and with the Nano to get a decent amount of money back.

Do you guys think I did a mistake?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Don't look back and just enjoy it!
    Great choice, great machine

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Refurbished of course. It's packed by Apple itself. Used comes from 3rd parties, like ebay or craigslist.

11. G-Com macrumors regular

12. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet.

How long do i have to charge it for before I start using it?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Plug it in, turn it on, and get busy! Enjoy!

14. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

Thats actually the best way to go, as a student! I have done this with my past 3ish computers!

15. PUCCY thread starter macrumors regular

Ive noticed the wireless thing is kinda sucky. It drops from time to time, doesnt happen on my pc.. is that common with the macbook?

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had a problem with wireless on my MBP. I know some do, but there are a lot of factors, such as environment, what kind of wireless router you have, other devices in the area that can interfere, etc. I once lived in a commercial loft in downtown Austin, right next door to a television station. I had a LOT of problems with wireless devices, from mice to headsets to modems and routers. Those same devices worked fine in other locations.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

well it depends on ur wifi router. mine was sucky so it dropped from time to time. but now since i have an aiport express, it never dropped unless i turn if off.

18. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I would go refrub. I know a lot of people who have done this and no problems what so ever.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

i confirm that. i bought a refurb ipod touch and no problems whatsoever.