Refurbished product from applestore?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bizonyos, May 1, 2011.

1. bizonyos macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I would like to know your opinions about refurbished products in applestore, are they reliable and good quality.

I was planning to buy a macbook air 11.6 inch for $849 shipped

What do you guys think

Thanks,
    Biz

2. duky macrumors 6502

Echoed. Originally bought my 13" 1.86GHz Air brand new. Decided I need more hard drive space and bought a refurb ultimate. The only difference was the box it came in, otherwise the computer was and still is in brand new condition with the same warranty.

3. john1620b macrumors member

I just bought a refurb for the first time a few months ago, and I recommend it. It's in exactly the same condition as a new machine, but cheaper.

4. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

My refurbished iPad works great. Haven't had any issues with it.

5. choreo, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

choreo macrumors regular

choreo

I am responding to this on a PowerMac G4 1.33 Apple Refurb that I bought in 2003 - been outdated now for a few years, but used it everyday and has not missed a beat so far.

6. bobcatou macrumors newbie

bobcatou

Definitely go with refurb. I saved $500 on a MBP 4 years ago. Only difference was it wasn't packaged in a pretty little Apple box.

I'd get another refurb but the MBPs haven't been out long enough yet.

7. radiohed macrumors regular

You can't go wrong with the Apple refurbs. I recently bought a refurbed mac mini server and it was like new. They also carry the same warranty. I saved $150 going with the refurb.

8. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I bought a refurb Mac Pro and it looks absolutely new in every way, and carries the same warranty as new. I will *always* consider Apple refurbs for future purchases.

9. GGJstudios, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. mactouros macrumors member

That must be the same one I was checking out. If current/future rebate offers matter to you, I think refurbs don't qualify.

11. mike457 macrumors 6502

You are correct that refurbs do not qualify. I have bought several Apple refurbs and recommend them to others. Given the exact same coverage and rights to Applecare, they're a great deal.

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I bought a refurb 27" 2009 iMac and aside from the box everything about it looked brand spanking new.

The thing to look out for is whether it is a better deal to buy a current model refurb or find a deal at a place like Amazon or B&H Photo that does not charge tax. I bought my 2010 MBP last November, which listed for $1,799 + tax, from Amazon for $1,675 and no tax. At the time a refurb + tax was about $100 less than a new one so I went that way. Today, the same model, which is now last years, is only $1,269 at the refub store and a fantastic deal - I wish I waited 3 more months but that the game