refurbished quality control procedures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gramps416, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gramps416 macrumors member

I am considering buying a refurbished MBP.
    After reading other posts on several topics about why some people have returned their machines. In some cases, problems that are hard to identify, only the symptoms are known.

When any of you have returned your MBP and told the person at the genius bar why you have returned it, do you see them make detailed notes on the exact issue you are having, or do they accept your answer, put it back in the box, and let the apple quality team run a series of universal tests?

If I buy a new MBP, I expect that they would attempt to address the specific issue the previous owner had complained about, and if they can't fix it, I don't become a sucker who unknowningly buys it.

also, side question. If you buy a refurbished machine online, can you take it to the genius bar, or do you have to call CS and return it by mail?

-g

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I have always heard great things about apple's refurbs, and I know several people here on the forum have gotten them as well. They know better than to just rebox and resell a defective machine, so if it has any problems, they get fixed.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not all refurbs have been used. Some are returned unopened. Here's Apple's refurb procedure:
    Apple Certified Refurbished Products
    Yes, you can take it to a Genius Bar for service, just like any other Mac.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

From what I know, it depends on the reason. Say you have a cosmetic issue that can be easily seen, usually a Genius will take a look at it. If you have a software problem, depending if you've tried to fix the problem, they might or might not investigate it.

If you go to an Apple Store, they might check it, or they might not but if they do, it's usually a quick glance and then it's sent to the appropriate channel for QC.

As for buying online and trying to return or swap out in-store, generally you have to deal with online sales support but a few members in the forum have been able to do exchanges in-store.

5. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I purchased my machine refurbished and its came to be basically brand new. I cant find a single flaw on it. Others have had issues with their refurbs. I dont think there is a definite answer to your question. Buy one, if you dont like it or there is something wrong then return it.

6. badpinoy macrumors regular

lol i have had great luck buying used on ebay.