Refurbished Restocking fee?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robby818, Sep 22, 2007.

1. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone had experience buying from Apple's on line refurbished store and having to do a return? Does Apple charge a restocking fee on opened refurbished products?

I got two different answers from their customer service. One said that Apple charges 10% on all returns regardless of open or closed..this can't be right as it contradicts their written policy.

Another rep. said the restocking fee applies to the refurb store as well.

Apple policy isn't clear about the refurb products so if anyone has had experience returning within 14 days to the refurb dept. please post.:)

2. GlynJones macrumors 6502

I bought a refurbished BlackBook that was scratched and had a well worn trackpad.

They agreed to accept it back as I wasn't happy with the condition and I didn't have to pay a restocking fee or delivery charge back to them. I was also going to buy a new one instead so that might have swung it as well.

What's your reasoning for sending it back as this might dictate their stance on this?

3. AndyFL macrumors regular

Why wouldn't it apply? 10% restocking fee on opened merchandise is standard. Just because it's not explicitly stated in the terms shouldn't suggest it's somehow excluded. That's not to say there aren't extreme cases where it gets waived, as the other poster mentioned. But, expect to pay the 10%, and hope for the best (that either you get a nice rep or your circumstances really merit waiving it).

4. robby818 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sending it back because I changed my mind...not Apple's fault but I decided that I better wait for Leopard and a possible new Macbook in October.

I would totally understand if I got charged for the shipping both ways, but the restocking fee doesn't make a lot of sense considering 1. the item wasn't new to begin with and 2. I never opened the box.

I think the restocking fee is a big YMMV. It all depends on how you approach the matter--a good reason and being pleasant to the person on the other end of the phone. SometimesI wonder if the rep is pulling up my account history which shows all the money I've given to Apple...i should just have every other paycheck direct deposited into Steve's bank account.

BTW, Apple gave me an RMA and a fedex label. The rep didn't mention a restocking fee so I think I'll end up getting a full refund.

5. GlynJones macrumors 6502

If you ordered it online it will give an estimated refund value so you'll get a good idea if you are going to pay a restocking fee.

6. un1ty macrumors member

It doesn't make sense to pay a restocking fee on refurbs imo. They don't come in a sealed box, so they're technically already "opened".

7. AndyFL macrumors regular

If that were the case, I bet Apple would see a lot of folks "demo'ing" refurbs for
    ~14 days and then sending them back. Needless to say, Apple loses time and money on that. That is what wouldn't make sense.

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Since you have not opened the box, there should not be a restocking fee, imo.