Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Current gen model is only $100 more in the refurbished store, so there's no way given that small difference that I'd buy the older gen

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Because of personal reasons I prefer the older design. I found another of the previous gen with a ssd
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC234LL/A
it is 100$ more also but is of the same looks,
is it a good computer in general?

its not bad. similar to the 2010 model in many ways it should serve you well for a few years i believe.

but i think you are not investing wisely.

for the same money, the 2010 model has a better display resolution, two USB ports, a better graphics card, stereo sound...

can't argue against taste though... personally i would refrain from buying products that contain compartments such as the USB one in the 2009 model... it just adds stuff that can break. additionally there has been reports that the 2009 model had issues with the display hinge.

there really is a big leap forward between the 2010 model and the 2009. more so than the 2010 model and the 2011 one.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
Old MBA's are dogs. Slow in general, there's nothing that is better about them. Not sure what "personal reasons" you could possibly come up with that would make you want something for near the same price that is a completely inferior product in every way.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Old MBA's are dogs. Slow in general, there's nothing that is better about them. Not sure what "personal reasons" you could possibly come up with that would make you want something for near the same price that is a completely inferior product in every way.

well everyone has an opinion and I prefer.
I will just get a refurb sandy bridge when i can get them
Oh well
maybe If i can get 1 cheaply on CL
COuld i upgrade the HD to a ssd?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Although the newer ones are indeed better computers, the older ones are no slouches. I have a mid-2009 Air as well that originally came with the 120GB HDD. That was truly a miserable experience and I gave up on it after struggling for a year and put an SSD in it. The difference was night and day. It is now at least as fast as the 2010 models, if not faster because it has a better SSD in it. Graphics performance does not matter much to me as I don't play games on my Air, so the 9400M is wonderful. The machine runs Lion and all of its features like a champ, and I look forward to keeping this laptop as my main laptop for several more years to come :)

In short, the 2009 Airs are still great little laptops if you put an SSD in them, and yes, you can upgrade the HDD to an SSD.

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
Although the newer ones are indeed better computers, the older ones are no slouches. I have a mid-2009 Air as well that originally came with the 120GB HDD. That was truly a miserable experience and I gave up on it after struggling for a year and put an SSD in it. The difference was night and day. It is now at least as fast as the 2010 models, if not faster because it has a better SSD in it. Graphics performance does not matter much to me as I don't play games on my Air, so the 9400M is wonderful. The machine runs Lion and all of its features like a champ, and I look forward to keeping this laptop as my main laptop for several more years to come :)

In short, the 2009 Airs are still great little laptops if you put an SSD in them, and yes, you can upgrade the HDD to an SSD.

As someone who owned a Rev C w/ SSD. I wouldn't go back even the revD is far faster with nearly identical specs and a lot issues have been worked out. I also wouldn't buy a MBA w/o a SSD. Just get a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.