Refurbished rMBP 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sofianito, Jun 10, 2013.

1. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I am thinking to give away my old MBP 2008 to my wife... :D

What would be best for development purpose (java, python, ruby,...etc) and running some VMs? a refurbished rMBP 13" i7 2.9Ghz or a 2.4/2.6Ghz 15"?

2. bbishop93 macrumors regular

3. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

You are right.

How readable is the 13" native resolution (2560x1600) and scaled one (1680x1050)?. At home I'll be using an external 24" Dell 2412M IPS monitor, but if I work with the built-in display, would I get eye strain after several hours of use?

4. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Waw, all the refurbished 15" rMBP with 16GB ram and 512GB disk have been sold... :eek: Hope there will be more supply or remorsed buyers... :D

5. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

6. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Good choice if the ram and disk size are not an issue for you. Why don't you like refurbs? they are certified, and you could always exchange it or return it if it doesn't please you.

In my case, I live in europe, and my wife's friend, who lives in us, is coming at the end of the month. So, I could make a good deal buying a refurb that suits me. According to my local apple store, the warranty is international :). I would never buy a new or refurb in europe. It is a rip-off knowing the € to $ conversion rate...

7. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

8GB of RAM is plenty and 256GB SSD is plenty as well.

Mostly want this for the enormous retina screen and the GPU/CPU. Sounds like the 2013 Air already has double the speed of the SSD in the rMBPs.

I want to also run Windows in this too.

But.. $1599 is a lot. Especially for something that will update in just a few months (but that's AFTER I start school.. /:)

8. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Refurbished Macs from the refurb store are quite wonderful. I'm on a late 2011 MacBook Pro that is still an amazing machine now. If you decide to go refurbished, it will be a wonderful machine as well.

9. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

You really think that with complete honesty? :p I'm being serious. I'm seriously contemplating on this. I think the 15" sounds like something that will last. From what I have heard, not even the new 13" (if it comes with Iris Pro 5200 graphics) will come close to the GPU in the current 15" model.

What about the accessories..? Are they "new" and do I get all of them?

Is the MacBook protected during shipping?

10. tillsbury macrumors 65816

You talk as if you're going to get an old dented mac posted in a brown envelope to you. Refurbs are thoroughly checked, repaired with new externals if they have scratches or any marks, supplied with a new battery unless the existing one is very new indeed, and supplied in a box with new accessories -- the only difference is the box is plain white instead of printed with the logo. It will look and feel like a new machine, except that it might have a few battery cycles on it. If you didn't know you wouldn't be able to tell. And of course if there's anything at all wrong with it you can get a replacement.

11. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Haha, I understand the pause - I definitely had it to. I decided on refurb because I wanted an i7 and dedicated graphics vs. the 13 with integrated graphics, as I do both audio and video editing. In any rate, all accessories were brand-new, and it came in protected shipping in a brown box (no white boxes for refurbs). It came with all-new reading and support materials and a new AC adapter.

12. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

I think I should get an entirely new battery for machine that's $1,599. I don't like paying premiums just because Apple is stuck on the front of the device.

I'm considering it and will most likely choose if it the BTS promo isn't any good.

----------

Since this was the June 2012 model does this mean I don't get OS X Mountain Lion? :(

13. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Another vote for how great value Apple refurbished products are. While you may not get the fancy standard packaging, you'll get a machine that looks and feels brand new, plus the same great warranty.

14. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

No, if the purchase is made now, you'll be eligible in the ML up-to-date program.

15. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

What's that?

and how long does this last?

I'm not sure if I can get the refurb. My parents are paying the bulk of the system and aren't exactly keen on paying $1500+ for hardware that's refurbished no matter how nice you guys seem to make it out to be. We'll see though..

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

Refurbs from Apple are given a thorough second quality check, with brand new casing, batteries, and a full-on 1 year warranty, just like the new product.

The only difference is the box, really.

You still get the 1 year warranty, and can still get apple care on it, I'm not sure why your parents would hesitate to save money to get the exact same thing?

17. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

It's the program that Apple has for folks who bought their Mac within a certain period of time to be able to update to Mountain Lion. I bought mine in Nov. 2011 after Lion had came out. Since I bought an early '11 MBP 15, it came with Snow Leopard, but was eligible for the up-to-date program because I bought it from Apple in November. Same thing applies here. If it comes loaded with Lion, is eligible for the free upgrade to Mountain Lion. Not sure about Mavericks tho, as that's coming out in fall with no release date yet.

18. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

What about the battery? I've seen reports that the batteries actually come used (albeit only with 5-6 cycles.. but still /:) Have you gotten refurbs with new batteries?

Well, they would me rather get the 13" rMBP since its cheaper, especially with BTS promo and educational discount.

----------

but is it enacted right now? o:

19. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes you do, all rMBP's came with the ability to download ML free. It will almost certainly have it on when you get it anyway.

----------

I have received refurbs with new batteries, but I understand that some have received them with 5-6 cycles on. You can't seriously think that isn't worth the big discount you get with a refurb?

20. Robster3 macrumors 68000

21. sofianito thread starter macrumors 65816

sofianito

Have anyone seen yet early 2013 15" rmbp in the refurb section?

22. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I did a week or so ago, now there is no 15" at all. Australia that is.

23. tillsbury macrumors 65816

A battery cycle is 100% of charge. This might be one full discharge or ten lots of discharge down to 90%. It doesn't matter, although for maximum battery life you should minimise battery cycles (by keeping it plugged in) but also ensure that you discharge down to zero at least once a month.

As a guide, I generally use my computer all day on charge, but sometimes run it watching TV on my lap in the evenings. I've done 112 cycles in a year of very heavy use of the computer, although as I said it's mostly plugged in. It's still near as makes no difference at its original capacity. Apple say that the battery is designed to deliver 80% of original capacity for "up to" 1000 cycles. The minimum is anyone's guess, but that's your target. I'd imagine that after five years it would be starting to be noticeably degraded, but perhaps longer at this rate. I recently managed almost 8 hours of interviewing and intermittent typing on battery (down to 15% at the end, although I knew it was going to be long so dropped the brightness, turned off wifi and bluetooth etc).

But also remember there is a standard price to replace the bottom case and batteries on a rMBP, which I seem to remember was $199?