Refurbished rMBP Replacement Under Apple Care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Garrett998, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Garrett998 macrumors member

I've been having some trouble with my retina display MBP for the past few months—mainly the trackpad sometimes won't fully depress (it becomes very hard to click) and I am getting quite a few dead pixels on one region of my screen.

I looked into having my computer serviced while it is still under Apple Care, but it seems Apple would have to ship it off for repair. As a student, this is not really feasible for me. Does anyone have experience with this situation? Would Apple being willing to trade me a refurbished model of my laptop and then ship mine off? If so, would you recommend doing this?

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Are you near an Apple Store? They carry out repairs at the store.

They will not replace a machine without trying to repair it.

3. Garrett998 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that is the thing... I am not close to an Apple Store. I'm about 90 minutes away. I don't want to spend 3 hours only to be told they are going to have to ship it off and then I would have to decline.

4. cjmillsnun, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

They don't ship it off. They carry out repairs at the store. They will not replace without attempting a repair. You are not entitled to a loaner, not are you automatically entitled to a replacement machine.

If they decide to replace your machine, they will do so after attempting repairs and getting nowhere or doing the same repair repeatedly (normally 3 times). The replacement is not a white box refurb but a brand new machine.

EDIT: if they have to order parts, then they will allow you to hang onto your computer until the parts are in.

5. Garrett998 thread starter macrumors member

When I called they said they would try to fix it in the store, but if it wasn't possible for them to do so they would have to ship it off. Thanks for your help though. I might try calling again.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'll get the same response. Surely your school has computer labs you can use for a few days.

7. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Have you tried looking for a Authorized Apple Service Provider closer to you?

I'm also a 90 minute drive from an Apple store, but realized there was an AASP about 10 minutes away from me. It took two trips, but they diagnosed the problem in an afternoon, gave me my computer back while the parts were being ordered. They replaced the part in a few hours.