Refurbished rMBP

PapaVBnMOMO

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Michigan
I'm reading a lot of returns of the rmbp due to minor screen issues...shouldn't it be up on the refurbished store by now with all the returns? The 2012 MBP 13" is already up there...

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
I'm reading a lot of returns of the rmbp due to minor screen issues...shouldn't it be up on the refurbished store by now with all the returns? The 2012 MBP 13" is already up there...
Good question. I wonder what they do with the returns. I have no idea but I imagine they do some or all of:
  • Re-use most of the parts in newly assembled machines
  • Fix and repackage them as new instead of refurbished
  • Give them as replacement of new defective units

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
unless they have a huge surpluss of new screens im guessing they are using the screen inventory on building new units before they work on the refurbished stock

FYI refurbished units are fixed to a new state they are not sold with known defects

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
  • Fix and repackage them as new instead of refurbished
I'm pretty sure that would be illegal. If it was purchased, returned and repaired, it can't be sold as new any longer. It has to be marked as refurbished.

Since there's still a pretty heavy demand for the retina MBP, maybe they're just holding back on offering refurbs for a little while. That wouldn't surprise me. Or maybe they take longer to open up, repair, inspect, etc. than the other MBP's do, or maybe the parts needed to repair them aren't available since they're still being used to create new computers and build store stock.