Refurbished ?s about MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nasr91, Feb 14, 2010.

1. nasr91 macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    Is there any reason not to buy a refurbished MBP? Like most people money is tight. I really want a Mac and am prepared to get a new one for $1199 I think. I need to cut corners where I can. What is the difference between the PRO and the AIR.

Also I travel alot with my laptop are the Macs tough or more delicate?

Also is the a website for the refurbished ones? I really do not want to buy off ebay>..dont trust it with something like this.
    Thanks

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Apple's online store has a corner for these refurbished computers.

DO NOT BUY e refurbished Air. I have and regretted, I have. Hinges are poor, there was high pitched noise with one... Very annoying.

Besides, the Air is getting dated. Unless weight is such an important issue, I would just get a 13" MB Pro. They are faster, their trackpad is better and they are cheaper.

The aluminium construction is pretty sturdy, but you will still need to look after them. I can imagine that plastic laptops can survive bigger drops than alu ones without damaging important internal bits.

I would wait for the MacBook Pro upgrades, you might get a good deal afterwards. If you know a full-time college/university student, in the UK they give 14% discount.

At this stage, the only reason why I would choose the Air is the screen. These glossy ones are useless.

3. wesrk macrumors 6502a

No, they are awesome, same as buying them when they were brand new except that they are a bit older and have gone through some repairs/exchanges. They are fully tested and you get the same warranty and can buy Apple Care as well.

Check the specs at the Apple site to see for yourself, this is a matter of taste so if you have an Apple store nearby go check them out. Otherwise, since I don't have an Air, I can't comment on it, so go with what the people here have to say.

About the same as any other. If you get the unibody they tend to be more sturdy with regards to the computer itself, of course, if you drop it, don't expect it to be dent free. Other than that, you can take it from one place to the other, put it in you bag, travel with it, use it in you bed, desk, etc. Follow common sense and you should be ok.

Yes. Check the Apple site, then go to store and then in the bottom left there's a link to the refurb store. Or you can click here (if you're in the US. Otherwise check your local Apple store)

Oh, and if you can, wait for the updates, the refurb store might see some price drops, but I'm not 100% certain of this.

4. nasr91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I will defeinitly check into the refurb. ones. Now if my damn tax refund would get here! lol :D