Refurbished S2, New S3 or Open Box SS S2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dalen3, Oct 8, 2017.

1. dalen3 macrumors newbie

I'm a first time AW buyer and deciding which one to get. I'm trying not to spend too much to first see how much I will like it and use it.

I found Black Aluminum S2 refurbished on apple website for 279.
    Then I found for 395 open box SS Black S2, new ones are 429.
    Or new Black Aluminum S3 for 359 (no LTE).

The only reason I am thinking about SS is saphire. I had mechanical watches with and without saphire, and have to say, the saphire ones are much better, no scratches, and i do manage to bump them against the wall, bricks, bridges, god knows what else.

I was thinking maybe regular S2 with applecare+, for 320. Or S3 with applecare+, then i am at 410.
    For SS S2 i wouldn't then get applecare.

What do you guys think? You have more experience with performance, scratch resistance, other factors..

2. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

S3

Faster = better for a wearable. Aluminum to keep the cost down.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If lte isn’t something you value (it seems you don’t) I personally think the open box stainless is the way to go. It’s $40 more than the aluminum s3 and you get that sapphire screen so no worries with scratches (or much lesser worries).

I don’t know that you’ll notice a huge difference in performance. I had an s2 and now an s3 and I still see load times on apps that haven’t been loaded in a while. It’s maybe a little faster but it’s not instant loads like we are used to on our phones so I don’t consider the spec bump this generation to be a notable difference.

I went with the s3 because I wanted lte but got aluminum since $230 additional wasn’t something I felt good about. I’d say the s3 without lte isn’t a terribly good value while there are stainless s2 floating around the $400 range.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There are definitely Series 2 out there. And as we approach closer to Black Friday, any online retailers will be liquidating them and I imagine will see a further discount. So if somebody could wait, that's what I would do until around the holidays.

5. skillwill macrumors 6502

S3. I never get why people would buy anything other than the latest when it comes to Apple products - not even for all of the new features, but simply because the life-span. Any cost-saving will even itself out by the newer device lasting at least an extra few years.

6. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

S3

Get the most up to date fastest available.

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

I picked up a SBSS S2 42mm from BB for $350 ( Open box, excellent condition, still had the plastic wraps on the watches and looked brand new to me! ) over the S3 ( non LTE ) and no regrets!

The S3 might load apps faster by a couple of seconds, have a slightly longer battery life, better Siri (barf), but SS over the *Fisher Price* looking/feeling Aluminum version was a biggie for me!

The S2 is plenty fast for my needs, I don't load music on my watch ( so, the additional storage capacity on the S3 models doesn't attract me ), and the Sapphire glass sealed it for me!

I'm happy and the S2 SS is a keeper. Now, if Apple had released a S3 SS w/o LTE, I *might* have waited for good deal on it around BF.

9. Kyle4 macrumors 6502a

I recently sold my Series 2 Space Grey to update to the same color but cellular in series 3. I already regret it and am seriously contemplating returning it and paying $20 more for a refurb space black S2 from Apple. The speed difference wasn't that noticeable to me, so unless you want/need cellular capability and talking Siri, I'd suggest going with the cheaper series 2 or stainless steel.

10. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

S2 SS all the way!

I just purchased the SBSS S2 refurb'd from Apple over the weekend to replace my SS S0.

11. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

I just picked up a mint S2 Black on swappa with full AppleCare+ until 12/18 for a little over $200. I can’t complain about that. There are deals out there if you look.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Lol why buy the s3 when you have no need for LTE? The speed diff between s2 and s3 isn't even something to write about. And with the AW HORRIFIC resale, makes no sense buying the newest AW.

13. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

If you only care about basic functionality and want to keep 3+ years go with SS S2. If you want the latest technology and upgrade every 1-2 years go with S3 aluminium.

14. Kyle4 macrumors 6502a

I have my Series 3 Space Grey with LTE packed and ready to be returned tomorrow. Paying $20 more for the Space Black, a watch I skipped due to it being out of m price range, is too good to pass up.

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

a series 2 ?

16. Kyle4 macrumors 6502a

Yes, Apple has the refurbished Series 2 Space Black for $20 more than the aluminum S3 cellular.

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

no brainer! you'll love it.

18. Relentless Power, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I disagree with you. Many forum members have purchased the Series 3 had no intention of activating LTE. They simply just wanted to upgrade for the extended battery life and improvements with the speed (Amongst other capabilities). And if you research these threads, many have reported the faster dual core processor with the Series 3 is fairly substantial over the Series 2 with load times, applications, multitasking and powering up/down. Everybody's usage will vary though.

19. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

Whether the S3 is only a little or a lot faster than the S2, the key here is that you're a first-time buyer into the system. Some people love the Watch, others seemingly can't find a use for it and end up hating it. So my recommendation would be to go with the cheapest option, with the caveat being that if you feel strongly about appearances, that you get a model that you like the look of.

I can say that's what I did; wasn't sure if I'd really be able to find a good use for the Watch, so dipped my toe in with a refurbished aluminum Series 1 (this was before the S3 was released). For the first month or two I'd say I liked it, but really was struggling to find a way to make it into a device meaningful enough that I'd upgrade in the future. I eventually found it, and whenever I end up upgrading, I'll probably go with a stainless steel version over the aluminum...

20. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I have S2 and S3. S2 has stutters when compared with S3. If i had only S2 i would not know. But since i have both i definitely like S3 much better

21. milhaus macrumors member

The S3 is miles faster than the S2. Just tip your wrist and you'll feel it.

22. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

This may be true but for me I needed to stay with SBSS. My first Apple Watch was an original SGA. When the AW2 came out I sold the Aluminum AW1 for $150 and bought a slightly used SBSS first gen for $300 from an upgrader. I really like the space black stainless steel with sapphire Michele better and wouldn’t want to go back to aluminum.

So when the AW3 came out last month I found another upgrader and bought a used but mint space black stainless AW2 for $310 and sold my SSB AW0 for $190. Fantastic upgrade though they look the same. The 2 is much faster for me coming from the 0 and I stuck with the premium parts. The GPS helps with golfshot and the brighter screen and better battery life are all added benefits. All that for the low upgrade price of $120 ($310-$190). No way I could justify spending $550 on a new AW3 in SBSS.

23. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

I got an 38 mm Midnight blue s2 from Target for 269 by making them price match Best Buy and tax free since I got it in Oregon.

It may stutter compared to the s3 but I can’t testify to that since I haven’t used one.

But buy an s3 and next year it may stutter compared to the s4 and on and on.

I buy my devices to have fun and because I love technology and always wanting the fastest and newest every minute of the day unless it’s a huge leap turns it into a job.

It does what I need it to do and for me that’s all that matters.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the Series 2 Apple Watch is still a very viable watch that has literally the same capabilities as the Series 3, aside from LTE, battery and speed improvements. It really depends on how somebody's using their watch to take advantage of all it has to offer. But the Series 2 I considered to be more of a larger upgrade from the first generation Apple Watch, where I considered the Series 3 more of a lateral grade from the Series 2.

25. zfarooq macrumors newbie

zfarooq

I disagree - unlike classical timepieces the expense here is what inside the watch, ie the processor etc.

Always buy the latest since that’s what lasts longer. This is especially true with a new product like the watch which is constantly being updated with tech improvements.

Don’t buy the Series 2, go with the series 3.