Refurbished time capsule....ok?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dazed, Dec 25, 2013.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

Hi

I'm in the market for a 2 TB time capsule (latest version). I've seen that Apple offers refurbished ones from time to time. Are these recommended? I'm a bit hesitant to buy one as I don't know how much wear and tear the HD has been put though.

Anyone buy one?

Thanks

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I ordered one of these on the 20th, it arrived on the 23rd with a broken hard drive. When I called, I found out that apple will only refund refurbished units rather than simply swap the unit.

(In my case I had split the payment between my normal credit card and a prepaid card, so it would have been a hassle to do a straight refund.)

I would up using my AppleCare to get the router replaced instead of refunded, but because I only have an authorized service provider in my area vs a real apple store it will still take about a week to exchange. (It would have been around 2 weeks for a ship back, refund back to both cards, rebuy, reship.)

It's a significant savings vs a new unit, I have no regrets but I do wish I had known about the refund only policy first.

4. dazed thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'll risk it. It is good savings and I have several apple stores close by if issues come up.

Thanks All.