Refurbished Time Capsule using the "green" drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jenzjen, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I read that Apple did a silent upgrade with the Time Capsule - not sure when - and started using WD green drives that should have eliminated the heat issue that was killing these devices after ~18 months.

Has anyone who purchased a TC via the refurbished store got one with a green drive? If so, was it in the 1TB or 2TB config?

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Where did you read that? Interesting, if accurate.

3. jenzjen, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Three weeks ago I bought a 1GB TC, manufactured in week 43. From all I have read, I was expecting it to get hot, but, so far the case top only gets lukewarm to the touch. I guess a power supply redesign, and the change to the Caviar Green could account for this.

I'm in Canada, and the part number is MC343AM/A, but the model number is A1355, same as the MC343LL/A US model. I notice that my Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad both have the AM/A suffix, so I think the part number difference just designates the destination market area for peripherals. The Canadian market MBPs have the LL/A suffix.

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Sure seems to. Makes sense to put a "green" drive in the TC. I recently upgraded my TC's drive to a 2 GB WD Caviar Green WD20EARS, and, while I can't quantify it, it seems cooler. It is most definitely quieter!

Be nice to see some more reports to confirm that at least some current TC's use a green drive.

6. jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I went ahead and ordered a refurb 1TB and will try and see what drive is inside without opening her up. Even if it isn't a green WD drive, it will be covered under my machine's AppleCare so when it does die, by then the replacement should definitely be a green WD drive :)