Refurbished Touch quality?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mgridgaway, Aug 16, 2009.

1. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I'm familiar with Apple refurbished products, and I've been considering getting a refurb iPod Touch (probably after the third gen is out). Does anyone have experience with the quality of Refurbed Touches? I'm talking mainly about scratches on the glass/outer casing. Does anyone know if they put them in brand new cases?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I can't speak for everyone, but my refurbed 1st gen Touch was nearly flawless. Not a single scratch on the case. I did discover two dead pixels, but they're barely noticeable unless you really look for them.

3. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

When you order a refurb from apple they rip it apart. They test everything
    they give you a new battery outer casing and glass screen if there are scratches, they test the digitiser and if its defective they replace it
    It will be good as new

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The refurbished units don't play audio above 128kpbs quality?

The refurbs are of the same quality, the only difference is the box, the price and that Apple tests the units in America.

5. eVolcre Suspended

eVolcre

I actually prefer refurbed to new. They check EVERYTHING before sending it out. It's better than new IMO except for the box which I don't care about ...

eV

6. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I would say, as good as new or better. I bought a refurb iPhone a couple years ago and I never took it in. I took my brand new (not refurb) 3G back to a genius for replacement within a month.

7. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I have don't a refurbished iPod Touch but I did just buy a refurbished 24" LED Cinema Display. It was flawless when I opened the package, no scratches, fingerprints, or dirt. All the cables were packaged like new and if you put a brand new one beside the one I bought I would not be able to tell the difference between the two.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My refurbished 1G iPod touch was flawless. Until my dumbass friend dragged it across sandpaper and dropped it onto a table saw, that idiot... Needless to say, he bought me another.

9. mgridgaway thread starter macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Thanks for the info, all. I know well the testing it goes through, and certainly am not worry about it dying or anything. I just wanted to know what kind of condition the outer case was likely to be in.

10. highertechnology macrumors 6502

You would NEVER be able to tell the difference of a refurb vs. brand new. It will even have the plastic on it.

11. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

mine had light scratches and the chrome finnish but i didnt care

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

All refurb's and ipods you send in for repair will have a new case. Only the insides are used. Its not a matter of Apple polishing it up or using cases with minimal damage, its a completely new shell fresh off the factory line.