Refurbished vs Brand New

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by harryhood, Feb 12, 2009.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

Now that they have cheaper refurbished Macbooks up, I think I'm going to buy one today.

I have bought many refurbished products before, but never one this expensive. I just wanted to make sure that there is NO difference in warranty, quality or anything when buying refurbished. Simply just a computer that has been refurbished but includes everything as if it were being bought brand new.

Also I am definitely going to buy a new Hard drive for it immediately. I was reading around about the western digital 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm. Is it worth waiting for the 7200rpm or just go for the 5400? And is 500GB the biggest hard drive that I can put in my macbook? I want the biggest possible.

What is the exact drive that is compatible with the macbook?

Thanks in advance!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You'll want a 2.5" harddrive.

And yes, get the refurb and then buy AppleCare. You can still do it. ;)

3. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Doesn't come in the original box, but otherwise, just like new.

I bought this thing refurbished, and I can definitely say, it's been a good experience. Get the Apple Care for it hehe.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It may be a good idea to hold off your HDD upgrade until you have a chance to test out your computer. It's easy to clone your HDD with Carbon copy cloner at a later time.

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Harry! Harry! Where do you go when the lights go out?

Thank you, Mr. Miner :)

6. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

ter 09 baby

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You don't get a fancy box with a refurbished machine; otherwise it's the same if not better than new. To sell it as refurbished, they have inspect the machine and such, including testing, something they may not do with a new machine.

8. aluminumapple macrumors regular

this is correct..
    most refurbished products are also users who open there notebooks Maybe turn it on and decide this isnt the correct notebook for them and return it

and any product that gets returned gets checked Thoroughly, Cleaned and than sold.

in the end the only thing you might have to worry about is scratches or stuff like that.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note too that the configuration listed in the refurb listing is the minimum configuration, not the actual configuration of your machine. I just got this unibody Macbook that came with 4GB of RAM instead of the 2GB listed, and you might end up with a larger/faster HDD.

B

10. rust.puppet macrumors regular

dont they put a whole new casing on all refurbs and only keep internals ? so scratches wont be a issue unless your refurb box was dropped during shipping into a pit for a spikes.

11. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
    is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
    is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
    includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
    is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
    is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

12. aluminumapple macrumors regular

i guess this answers all lol