Refurbished vs New: your experiences, thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matpet09, Dec 14, 2010.

1. matpet09 macrumors newbie

hi guys,

well i am looking to get a new macbook pro 13" in 2011 when SB comes out(hell yeah!), sooo, do you think its worth the wait? i dont need it urgently though...
    so do you think its best to save a couple hundred dollars and buy a refurb or wait for sandy bridge that is rumored to have i5 in the 13"? if i save, i'll be able to have a bit of cash to buy an iphone 4. btw, do you know where i can get one cheap, and unlocked?
    thanks a lot for your help guys
    awaiting your answer!

2. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

If you're in no hurry, then obviously wait. I don't know much about the Sandy Beach stuff, but I do know that there will be for sure a refresh in early spring of the MBP line.

As for the iPhone, it is also on the verge for an update. I would wait for the 5.

If you want a cheap iPhone, there's always the AirPhone4 :D /sarcasm

3. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I've noticed that the discount between the refurb and new is roughly equal to the purchase price of applecare. I bought a refurb 15" mbp 7 months ago, and I haven't looked back. I would buy refurb again.

iPhone 5 won't be coming out until June, same time last year as the iPhone 4. You can post over the iPhone forum, whether Apple will refine the iPhone 4, like the iPhone 3Gs, or introduce a totally new design because of antennagate and the inability to produce a white iPhone.

Cheap depends on your perspective. Compared to prices in other countries like UK and China, the US is still the cheapest place to buy a iPhone 4. For $700 you can walk out the door at Radio Shack with a no contract iPhone 4. You can jailbreak and unlock the phone.

4. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

SB is overrated, no real reason to keep waiting in my opinion.

5. jim9112 macrumors newbie

Get a refurb and enjoy. I have had zero issues with mine.

6. miata macrumors 6502

SB would be a nice upgrade for the MBP 13 which has the C2D now.

7. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

You make it sound like an update is guaranteed. It isn't. What if Apple decides to push Light Peak? That pretty much will push the upgrade back into the summer.

All I'm saying is that iti sn't a given.

Anyways, Sandy Bridge will offer some speed improvements, and probably a little bump in battery. It will also use Intel graphics, which (the last time I checked) are inferior to the Nvidia graphics currently in the MBP 13".

So, here's my advice: buy based on what you need, and if current hardware will do it. If you don't, then you will continually be in the upgrade cycle, and you will never catch up. That's how tech works: there's always something 'better' coming soon. :)

8. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

If you don't need it now then wait for an update, otherwise purchase the refurb now and enjoy it and the money you saved!

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Personally everything I have purchased from Apple in their Refurb department is hands down superior quality over most companies refurbs. They also back all their products with a full year warranty, most will only offer 30-90 days.

I have many Refurb Apple products, and they have run perfect since the day I bought them, also you do save a lot of money.

I am just waiting for the new version of the 13" and 15" to make a decision on my next MB since I have a Mid 2009 uMB now.

10. Rizzler78 macrumors newbie

I had a 13" Mac Book Pro refurb delivered yesterday from Apple Store (UK), as far as i can see it is brand new. Would definetly buy refurb from Apple again.

11. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

refurb all the way, you will have no complaints