Refurbished Vs Used MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andrew D., May 6, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I was just wondering, what would be the best.. to purchase a MacBook refurbished directly from Apple or one that is used from eBay or what not? Is there any benefit buying a refurbished from Apple directly? Can you transfer the warranty if it is used? I know if I were to buy used, it would be cheaper than the refurbished from Apple but will that be significant enough? Sorry if this post was confusing, your thoughts please everyone! Thanks!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think that it would be that much cheaper buying used instead of refurbished, and if you get refurbished you don't have to worry about getting scammed. I think that the warrenty can be transferred on a used one, but I would still go with the refurb.

3. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I'd go for refurb over new, let alone used - a hefty saving, Applecare applicable, and put under more stringent quality checks than units that ship new.

4. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, refurb means it's been QC'd by Apple and is covered under the same warranty that the new computers have. Used means there's no QC and no warranty.

Lethal

6. Roba macrumors 6502

I don't really like refurb's if i could get a used one that was under the 1 year warranty or had Applecare i would go for that.
    To me a refurb is a computer that has had problems in the past and these computers may have have a likelihood of having recurring problems again in the future. Some people may not see it this way but that is the way that i kind of see it.
    You also do not get the original box when you buy a refurb and when you come to sell it some people may know that you are selling a refurb because of that. Refurb's i have seen on Ebay for less than used ones that are still in warranty.

7. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Your way of seeing things isn't really based on the facts. Many (maybe even most) refurb computers either had only minor problems, or never had any problems at all. I think you need to learn more about the Apple refurb program before you go on talking about it.

8. djellison macrumors 68020

I couldn't find a Macbook on Ebay or elsewhere for the price I ordered a refurb from Apple for. It's going to be my first Mac and I wanted to spend the least I possibly could to find out if I really do like the platform and can do everything I want to. I spent <£630 and hopefully - it arrives today or tomorrow :)

Refurbs make a lot of sense actually - they've had their weakest link replaced - so you're getting a machine that's basically had a bit of proper real life testing to wring out the ones likely to break quickly. As long as me+mac get along fine, I may well go for a refurb later this year with an MBP.

Doug

9. seany916 macrumors 6502

My refurb G5 1.8DP is still running fine. I got an awesome deal on it at the time. I'd go refurb again with NO hesitation. Just my experience.

10. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone! I ended up going refurbished after all, placed my order this morning! I am hoping it will come by the end of the week, I'll post more about my first experience with my refurbished MacBook on another thread. Thanks again!

11. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

congrats! I know you'll be pleased with your purchase :). I certainly have been with my C2D MBP.