Refurbished watches

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Hi all

I want to buy a refurbished Apple Watch, series 2 or 3, I see lots of them on eBay that are listed as refurbished but I want Apple refurbished so I know it’s been done properly and it’s all sealed and everything, does anyone know where I might find one? Apple sell the s3 refurbished but there’s not much price difference compared to a new one.

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all

I want to buy a refurbished Apple Watch, series 2 or 3, I see lots of them on eBay that are listed as refurbished but I want Apple refurbished so I know it’s been done properly and it’s all sealed and everything, does anyone know where I might find one? Apple sell the s3 refurbished but there’s not much price difference compared to a new one.

Thanks
Apple will be the only place you can get an actual Apple refurbished watch. Anything else you’re seeing that’s “refurbished” is just a cleaned up used watch.

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Apple will be the only place you can get an actual Apple refurbished watch. Anything else you’re seeing that’s “refurbished” is just a cleaned up used watch.
Yeah that’s what I thought, they sell the s3 for £259 so £50 cheaper than new, suppose it’s not bad......

Cheers

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I want to buy a refurbished Apple Watch, series 2 or 3, I see lots of them on eBay that are listed as refurbished but I want Apple refurbished
Ebay is always a risk. Apple refurbished comes with a 1 year warranty and is eligible for AppleCare+.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
No idea what the bolded means. But what I can tell you, anything that is ‘refurbished’ that is not direct from Apple, does not use OEM parts (Display, battery, ect). So when someone purchases a refurbished Apple Watch that’s not directly from Apple, you take the risk of buying something that’s likely not thoroughly tested and not using specified parts, because Apple doesn’t distribute OEM parts to third-party distributors.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
I recommend to not buy refurbished items on ebay. 90% of the time they’re not refurbs from Apple. On top of that, I would not buy a series 2. Performance is meh.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
No idea what the bolded means. But what I can tell you, anything that is ‘refurbished’ that is not direct from Apple, does not use OEM parts (Display, battery, ect). So when someone purchases a refurbished Apple Watch that’s not directly from Apple, you take the risk of buying something that’s likely not thoroughly tested and not using specified parts, because Apple doesn’t distribute OEM parts to third-party distributors.
That’s exactly what I mean. Places other than Apple will do nothing more than just clean a product and perhaps repair something with a low quality part and call it “refurbished.” These products should really be considered nothing more than used.

MiniMoney

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
When you get a refurbished watch from Apple, it could be set next to a new and they would look identical. I bet many of Apple’s refurbished products had nothing wrong with them. I believe many are returned for economic reasons. Something along the lines of “Why did you buy that when we’re trying to save for our son’s heart transplant?!?!! You’re going to return it tomorrow and I’ll go with you to make sure you do!!” I knew a coworker that was living beyond his means and bought a new iPad. His wife made him return it two days later. I’m sure that iPad ended up being sold by Apple as a refurbished unit.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
When you get a refurbished watch from Apple, it could be set next to a new and they would look identical. I bet many of Apple’s refurbished products had nothing wrong with them. I believe many are returned for economic reasons. Something along the lines of “Why did you buy that when we’re trying to save for our son’s heart transplant?!?!! You’re going to return it tomorrow and I’ll go with you to make sure you do!!” I knew a coworker that was living beyond his means and bought a new iPad. His wife made him return it two days later. I’m sure that iPad ended up being sold by Apple as a refurbished unit.
That’s all likely true what you said, because every return will be variable why it was returned in the first place. The downside, is no one really knows why the item was returned, which leads for open-ended questions like was it ‘defective or just somebody didn’t want it’. On the upside, every refurbished device from Apple comes with a one-year warranty, so the consumer would be covered either way.