Refurbished Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320 GB... yes or no

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DavidChavez, Apr 4, 2012.

1. DavidChavez macrumors member

I am going to buy a new hard disk drive for my Macbook on newegg.com. I've been looking for different sizes and I've decided to buy a refurbished Western Digital Scorpio Blue w/320 GB ($54). It is cheaper than the WD Scorpio Blue 250 GB ($65), but I looked to the reviews and they're not so good for the refurbished one.

Does it worth the save of 11 bucks (and more space)? Has anyone tried the refurbished WD? Is it reliable?

2. Bear macrumors G3

There are a couple of possible issues with a refurbished product...

What is the length of the warranty versus a new product?
    How well was the unit tested during the repair process?

A lot of companies only have a 90 day warranty for a refurbished product. Even when the warranty is anywhere from 1 to 5 years for the item new.

Hard drives are notorious for not being well tested during refurbishing. And some even come with other customers' data on them. How well could the drive have been tested if it has data on it?

Apple on the other hand offers the same warranty on refurbished Apple products they sell directly and even allow you to buy the extended AppleCare for them. And people in general have no more issues with a refurbished Apple product than a new one.

3. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

4. DavidChavez thread starter macrumors member

but... has anyone tried one of these refurbished HDD's?