Refurbished

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dnksr, Mar 21, 2011.

1. dnksr macrumors newbie

2. petjuli macrumors newbie

Yes

I bought a refurb 50d a little over a year ago using the loyalty program. Came in a white box but with all original accessories. Camera had about 100 snaps on the shutter. Has been absolutely perfect in every other way. I would recommend going refurb as opposed to new or used.

3. rebby macrumors 6502

I haven't bought a referb from Canon, not yet anyway, but I have heard a great deal of good things about them. Sounds like a far better alternative than buying used on CriagsList or eBay.

4. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Buying through either the Canon Refurbished Store, or via the Loyalty Trade-in Program are both definitely positive routes to buy gear. The gear that is sold in the Refurb store is just as good as buying new, without the new price tag.

As has been pointed out, you do receive purchased items in a White Box, but other than that, the equipment usually looks like new. Also, as has been a consensus on the Photo Forum's, it seems as though Canon makes sure the Refurbished Gear is working correctly straight out of the box, whereas occasionally, New Gear has to be sent in for adjustments.

Regarding your question about buying via the Refurb Store or CL; I would go with the Refurb store any day of the week, over buying on CL or FleeBay.

5. gameface macrumors 6502

Bought my 7D refurb via Canon and have had zero complaints.

6. alph45 macrumors member

from what i've seen, the canon referbs are just under new street prices. not to say there is anything wrong with referbs, just don't see them as that great of a deal (from canon at least).

when it comes to DSLR's i would be primarily concerned with shutter count unless canon replaces during referb.

7. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Refurbs are typically 20% below Retail pricing. Example: EOS 7D is $1699 @ B&H, EOS 7D is $1360 on Canon Refurb Store. From the standpoint of being on a budget, that is quite a substantial amount of savings.

Just curious, why does Shutter Actuations matter? Shutters' have a rated life-span, but that is just a statistical number. A shutter may crap out at 1500 clicks (which has happened) or it might last +500,000 clicks (which has happened also). Canon states that a shutter is rated to XXX,000 clicks, but that does not imply that Canon will replace the shutter assembly if the Shutter blew before the number that is associated with whichever body is purchased. It has been my experience that warranties with DSLR's are a somewhat vague area. There are many variables that are taken into account, when service is required. Even if the camera body is outside the warranty window, Canon may replace the shutter free of charge, or charge you whatever the fee is, depending on which DSLR your needing fixed.

8. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I got my T2i from the Canon refurb site. You would never know that it wasn't new other than the little gold "Refurbished" sticker on the bottom. I picked it up right around Christmas time for $709.99 for the T2i body, 18-55 IS, and 55-250 IS lenses. I guess they were trying to clear the stock before the T3i came out. I love the camera and loved the deal I got.

9. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Went to buy a refurbished 5D II at Canon for $1,999.00, but they ran out of stock after a few people bought the ones they had left. :mad:

10. viggen61 macrumors 6502

So just try back again in the morning :)

Refurb stick is never constant. Not at Apple, and not at Canon. I'm sure more will pop up soon.

Be aware, though that refurbs bought direct from Canon only carry a 90-day warranty (shop.usa.canon.com). At least, that's what every item listed shows.

:apple::apple:

11. AlaskaMoose, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Checked again, but no 5D II in stock. I was not aware that the warranty was for 90 days only. If that's the case, I probably won't buy it.

12. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

90 day warranty is pathetic on refurbs. The UK Canon Outlet ebay store gives you 12 months. I recently bought a refurb 5D MkII from Jacobs (UK) which also has a 12 month warranty. If there another source for refurbs in the US?

The refurb looks brand new, all the accessories in the box are new. Managed to pickup a refurb BG-E6 grip at the same time.

13. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Sorry, but I do not see that as a substantial savings. It's a price difference of $240.00. While that is slot of money it is not savings enough to steer me towards a refurb instead of a new item. It's better than buying a used camera off cragslist or eBay, but it's not that great of a deal.

14. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Apparently neither math nor checking your spelling is a strong point. :rolleyes: $1699-$1360=$339, not $240. Also, your incorrect words have been corrected. You are entitled to your opinion, but what people can & cannot afford, & what is considered a substantial savings, is subjective to each persons' point of view. 20% in the Electronics Retail Industry is considered Substantial. Additionally, I was using the pricing of the 7D, as an example. The OP, never stated a specific item, they were just asking a broad spectrum question.

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

Canon had the 1DIV refurbs for $3999 last week I believe. Probably sold out..although I would rather get a 1Ds3 :) or even a 1Ds2..

16. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

My bad...was trying to do math in my head with a fever of 102. :eek:

$339.00 is a pretty significant difference, Id be tempted to go the refurb route in that case.

As far as spelling goes, its the internet not a term paper for crying out loud.

17. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I am a refurb/used junky.

My current kit:

-Canon 5DII - Bought $1,999 refurbished straight from canon. Pristine, Flawless. Perfect.

-Canon 50D - Bought used from original owner for VERY cheap

- Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS - Bought off fred miranda Buy/sell for CHEAP. Perfect condition.

- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 - Bought used off fred miranda buy/sell for cheap.

- tokina 16-28 f/2.8 - Bought this used only because it is fairly new and there are no used copies out there yet.

- Tamron 60mm f/2 macro - Bought this new because it was one of my first lens purchases and I did not know any better.

Other lenses I have bought used and been perfectly happy with yet have since resold due to FF upgrade: Canon 17-55 f/2.8IS, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8.

Brass tacks: Unless you are paranoid about manufacturers issues, I see no compelling reason to buy brand new ever again.