Refurbished?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSchule, Mar 30, 2009.

1. iSchule macrumors member

Next year I am going to highschool, and need a new computer that will last me all 4 years. I want to get the macbook, 2.0, unibody one. I was going to get one new, but I saw the refurbished prices. I am a little worried because I was looking on the forums and saw a picture of one that had scrapes on the bottom of it. I have enought for the refurbished one right now, but should I save up some more and get it new? I'm really afraid its not going to be what I am hoping for. :confused: What have been your expirences buying refurbished?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Bought my mini refurb'd. It was spotless and flawless. A laptop will become scratched if you transport it about a lot anyhow.

3. desiringGod macrumors regular

This is one of the most discussed topics on here, so do some research and you will read of many people's positive responses.

The scratch issue was resolved by sending the computer back to Apple and them sending a replacement.

Basically there is no difference between a Refurb and a new one, besides the price.

You will hear stories of people that bought refurbs and find that they get free upgrades (more memory, bigger HD) due to the built-to-order (BTO) being returned.

I have a refurb MBP and it has worked great with no issues.

4. iSchule thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Sorry I am brand new here. I will search the forums next time, sorry!

5. fishcake macrumors newbie

Refurb is Ok

Hi, I recently posted my experience of buying a refurb and the machine I received was scratched on the bottom, photo included in the original post.

Apple have replaced it without any issues, the new one arrived yesterday and appears perfect. As far as I can see I've saved CAD$200 by not buying a macbook in a glossy white box, works for me. :D