Refurbished???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tactician1016, Jul 21, 2010.

1. tactician1016 macrumors regular

tactician1016

I have never bought refurbished before, and am considering it to save money on a new iPod Touch 32GB (once they update). Is the apple refurbished store generally reliable?

2. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

3. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

^Agree.

I've bought almost every Mac I've ever owned as a refurb, and never had an issue

4. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I've worked in manufacturing for nearly a quarter century, and while not in the electronics industry we get return product that is "refurbished" and they get extra attention in the inspection line...I have no problems buying refurbished.

5. a cat *miaow* macrumors regular

Absolutely! Every piece of Apple hardware i've bought and recommended friends/family to buy within the last 6 years has been refurbished. And every one has performed perfectly.

Remember that as stated above – these items are tested beyond regular items as they have been returned.

The only question when it comes to refurbs is that – unless you're buying the newest released hardware then why would you not buy a refurb?

(Plus, I have on one occasion received a machine with a higher specification than stated because it was upgraded by the original customer... which was very nice)

6. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

I see, thanks for the info. I may end up buying a 3rd gen touch after the update refurb and just wanted to be sure. How expensive would 3rd gen, 32gb refurb be in the store after an update?

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Always buy apple stuff refurbed. It's just way too expensive brand new and it is a bad deal.

8. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I agree that refurbs are not risky. Now, where are the refurb Ipads?

9. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Yes, I have a refurbed airport express works great, plus they still have warranty. I don't know about macbooks, but they might be alright.

10. advres Guest

advres

This question has never once been asked here. Not once!

11. xobleedinglovee macrumors newbie

I bought my new aluminum body macbook from the refurb store and I love it! It works perfectly while it's outer casing is flawless.

12. tactician1016 thread starter macrumors regular

tactician1016

So, how long would it take for the 4th gen touch to appear in the refurbished store? Should I just buy it new, buy a refurbished 3rd gen (if so, after update or now), or wait even longer after an upgrade?
    For the record, 32GB. Faster with more features than 8gb, i've heard.

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

personally I continue to look and sometimes purchase refurbished but I have had issues.

Case #1 My wife's iPod touch was a refub. The first one had horrible battery life, Apple replaced it and the next one lasted 11 months before dying for no reason. They would not exchange because it had been 14 months since we purchased the original one.

Case #2 older iMac was refurb. The first one came and was obvously not refurbished (must have been a Friday afternoon when they "refurbished" it. The screen came to me very dirty, keyboard was not cleaned, computer was quite noisy when first booting up.

So just like new products there can be issues. I think it is still safe to buy refurb. though.

14. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Same here.

I've bought refurbed AE and iPod and never a MBP or iMac.
    Always wondered if it was safe to buy the "big" purchases refurb.

15. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I've found each of my three refurbished MBs and MBPs to be very reliable. Plus, you're still eligible for the free printer up to $100 when you buy a refurbished Mac.