Refurbishing a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nicraz, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicraz macrumors newbie

I'll be honest with you, I'm not a Mac person because I never really owned one, but my husband has been for the last few years. Here's what happened:

In 2008 he bought his first MacBook which lasted up until this year. The truth is that mac never gave him any problems, until one day he was really angry and threw the poor thing against the wall. We replaced the screen and the computer continued to work. Now I don't know if he was looking for an excuse to buy a new MacBook (now he has the Pro) but punched the old '08 MacBook and broke it.

There is a dent on the right side of the keyboard, right on the area above the CD-ROM. This was a few months ago and right now I decided that I may give it a try to fix it myself. The hard drive must be dead because when it powers up it gives the gray screen with a folder and a question mark. The dent on the keyboard makes it hard for you to insert a CD, I tried and it got stuck I had to pull it out with a plastic paper clip.

Sorry for making this so long, but I'm just looking for guidance and advice. Do you think this MacBook can still be repaired? Perhaps you can help me out with a few tips. I know changing the hard drive should be easy (I replaced his screen when he first broke it, and I believe that's harder than replacing the hard drive), but I'm not sure about the CD-ROM.

Thanks for your time.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Well, first off it sounds like he has some serious anger issues...

It sounds like the frame of the MacBook has been bent. In order to fix it, you'll need to completely disassemble the entire MacBook and see if you can bend the frame back into place (or close enough). You'll also need to replace the top cover (the keyboard, trackpad, and surrounding plastic area are all one piece). You may need to get a new optical drive (it's more than just CD-ROM, it's DVD/CD RW) but it sounds like it's operating fine if the only thing is the fram getting in the way. You may very well need to replace the bottom case as well.

It's a lot of work, and for all the parts you could probably just buy another used MacBook.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. Nicraz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it sounds like a lot of work... I was thinking of trying to fix it and giving it to my sister but now I'm not so sure. I think the optical drive is working because it tried to run when I inserted the cd but since the hard drive is broken it didn't really do anything.

If it's too much trouble to fix it, would other Mac users be interested in buying it for parts perhaps?

I appreciate your response.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It may or may not be running. My optical drive is broken (but I have an external, so I'm not bothering to fix it) but it still tries to function.

Whether or not it's worth it is really up to you. I suggest tracking down how much all the parts you will need will cost and then making a decision.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly? Let the MacBook go and fix your husband. That will solve any future computer issues.

7. Nicraz thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought this was a MacRumor website not some type of counseling forum.

----------

I'll see what I can find. It's funny that the new MacBook Pro he has seems to lag behind compared to his old white MacBook. Especially when he runs Garage Band. Who knows. Thanks again!

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you didn't want a response to your husband's (obvious and significant) anger issues, don't mention them. It's just human concern. Throwing a MacBook against the wall or punching it hard enough to bend the frame is serious. I'm worried for anyone in that situation, regardless of whether or not I know that person.

It could be due to a difference in version of GarageBand or RAM amounts in the different computers or anything. If you were running GB '08 on the MacBook and GB '11 on the MBP, then that might explain it.

9. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Yea, I'd agree with them, first off I'm very worried for your situation with your husband. but secondly it does sound like if you want the computer to look normal again then it would just be better to buy a used macbook. However if you don't mind not replacing the top case etc then you might be able to just fix the hardware issues and have it be ok

10. Nicraz thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think there's a need to explain why he was going through tough times back then that made him react the way he did, but the reason I mentioned it it's because I thought it would give you a better idea on how the computer was damaged. If you look a it, it really doesn't look that damaged but you see a dent on the keyboard.

Anyway, I think it's obvious that it would require too much work and money to repair it, but an acquaintance showed interest in buying it for parts. I think that's what I'll do.

Thanks.

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

He sounds like one of my unruly kindergarteners. Seriously, hon, please make sure you are safe and don't ever put up with violence! That MacBook could be you one day. I know you don't want to hear it, but that is not normal behavior and it is not okay, no matter what the catalyst was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.