Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Hey guys,
Sorry for the double post, I posted in iPod forums but didn't get a response.

I recently purchased 2 iPod classics off eBay for a very good price. A 3rd & 4th Gen. From the description they are fully operational and do come with original packaging + accessories. Only issue I have with them is that they have been "used" and there is scuff marks on the back plate of both from normal use. I was thinking of self refurbishing these iPods and leaving them in their original packaging. Depending on battery life I would replace the battery and the housing of these iPods. I was wondering if you guys could shed some light if it would be worth even refurbishing and if it would devalue them in the future. Replacing the housing would mean the serial code on the backplate would not match with the packaging and software. Also opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I'd leave them as they are. If you're going to store them, I'd be removing the battery (and hope that you can source a new battery in the future).

As for the casing, my personal preference would be to leave them as is, or, get a watch repairer to see if they can buff out the scratches, avoiding the area of the logo, FCCID and Serial number.

That's my 2c. :)

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
I'd leave them as they are. If you're going to store them, I'd be removing the battery (and hope that you can source a new battery in the future).

As for the casing, my personal preference would be to leave them as is, or, get a watch repairer to see if they can buff out the scratches, avoiding the area of the logo, FCCID and Serial number.

That's my 2c. :)

thanks for the reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.