Refurbs at the brick and mortar apple stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by auhlixer, Jun 12, 2011.

1. auhlixer macrumors regular

I like the price of the refurbs but don't want to order it online does anyone know if they sell them at the store?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. silverf1re macrumors regular

Were all those links necessary? Link one OP stated he is aware of the online store so why link it for him? Link 2 FAQ doesn't address the brick a mortar store availability of refurbs. Link 3 seems to be applicable.

To answer your question in a helpful way the brick and mortar stores do not carry refurbished MacBooks. They do carry clearance MacBooks around refresh time though.

4. GGJstudios, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I already answered the OP's question completely in my first sentence. The links were other helpful resources on the topic of refurbs, for the OP and/or others who might read this thread. If you don't like them, don't read them. You respond to threads your way, and I'll respond my way.

5. Kyllle macrumors 6502

I have a related question, so I figured it would be better not to start a new thread for this.

Do you pay sales tax on refurbished MBPs? I read that you aren't supposed to pay tax on used goods, since the tax has already been payed when it was bought originally, but I'm not sure if it would be different for Apple, since you also get Apple Care and the laptops are usually like-new.

6. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

a refurbished item is not technically considered a used good in this manner as there was effort involved to fix the problem so while it has been used i believe there is still sales tax.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If tax was collected when the item was originally purchased, the tax was returned when the item was returned as defective. In other cases, refurbs are brand new older stock that was never sold, so tax wasn't collected before on those.

8. auhlixer thread starter macrumors regular

I live in Philadelphia

and was gonna take a 35min trip to Delaware and save $200+ in tax

9. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Ok then, I think that means its still cheaper to buy new from Amazon than refurbished from Apple. Or at least its about the same.

10. Bear macrumors G3

The price of the Refurb + Tax vs the trip and saving sales tax might be a wash. And if you go pick it up, you don't have to deal with waiting for delivery.

11. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

You can also avoid tax (in most states) and get free shipping by buying online. Amazon, Mac Mall and Mac Connections are all tax free in most states. You also save on gas for the trip to Delaware. :)

12. auhlixer thread starter macrumors regular

Not for me

I need 2.3ghz w/ an antiglare screen and when you add those options it's always more expensive at re-sellers.

13. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I saved a lot by buying my refurb MBP, edu pricing, tax off (it's 18% tax here) ;)

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Education pricing does not apply to refurbished products.

15. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Exactly, so how did you skip tax?

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't avoid paying tax on refurbished products.