Refurbs from the apple store? Anyone here bought one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aimeeinohio, Feb 1, 2011.

1. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I am really considering getting the iMac and iPad from the refurb store...uh but I am scared:p . I don't mind the iPad as much as the computer...The thought of a computer someone else already had their slimy hands all over...LOL

Anyhow the iPads are at really great prices right now.

So, any of my buds here purchase a refurb? Huh?:D

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I bought a refurb imac. No different than brand new other than the box.

3. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

4. macdaddykane, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

macdaddykane macrumors member

My last 3 macs were refurbs...love'm

I buy a new mac about every three years. My last three were refurbs..all still work fine. Refurbs are not scratch and dent items. The computer and box contents will be packaged like new and look brand new out of the box. So it won't look like you have purchased an opened or returned item. They do not look used or repaired at all. The only difference you'll notice is they come in plain brown box instead of the pretty white ones they have in the store. They have the same warranty as a "New" mac. I like the fact the macs are refurb'ed and tested here in the U.S.

5. carlitofox macrumors member

best way

I purchased a MBP from the refurb section of the store and it was great the two main differences from getting a normal one are

1) Price - its cheaper because they can't sell it as new

2) Box - you get a plain box not the retail one

i can't see a problem with the above two at all.

Also they get an extra check over so its win - win

other than getting a US one when i go to the states i'll always go refurb store

6. makinao macrumors regular

Like I've said in many other threads in various apple forums asking the same question, Apple US refurbs are highly recommended, as long as you are not so finicky and OC about "newness" and very minor cosmetic issues. I dearly wish there were Apple refurbs in my country :-(

7. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

If this really bothers you, whether you buy refurb or new you are gonna want to microwave the keyboard & mouse for 5 minutes on high. Someone will definitely have touched them whatever you do. :D

8. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Bought an iBook and a Mini from the UK refurb store...other than packaging and price, I found that the iBook had a little "certified refurbished" sticker underneath the keyboard when I lifted it to install some RAM.

No problems with either machine.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Comes with the full 1 year warranty + you can still buy Applecare. I don't see why you wouldn't.

11. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I purchased a 13" MBP, came in brand new shape with all new accessories. Was only missing the shiny box. ;)

12. 0815 macrumors 68000

All the Macs at the company I work (iMac and MacBooks) were bought refurbished + AppleCare, I bought one of my MacBooks refurbished. Not a single machine had a problem (some of the already several years old)

13. Pak^Man macrumors regular

I bought 2:

• Blackbook (2006) - Core Duo
    • MBP (2010) Core i7 15" Hi-Res

I qwould highly recommend the refurbs.... as others have pointed out, you get a new body, new battery, aand same 1-year warranty!

14. dcoux09 macrumors member

buy it

referb could simply mean somebody bought a 13 inch model, then decided they wanted a 15 inch model. i used to work at the  store, this was often the case. we had to label them as referb, even though they clearly did not even tear off the plastic packaging.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Bought my wife a refurb iMac a year ago - works flawlessly. No issues. Even comes with the same warranty as "new," because it is new.

16. Highcroft macrumors regular

Almost all of my Apple products have been bought from the refurb site and I've never had a problem with any of them.

17. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

I always buy refurb

My reasoning is a refurb has had a second quality control check. If something failed it was repaired. If it was a return it was gone back over to make sure it met the specs. Either way it is better than brand new where you could have a failure during burn in.

18. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I bought a refurb MacBook a couple years ago.
    Cheaper than new.
    I had a problem with mousepad. Apple said engineering wanted the unit & they sent me a brand new MacBook.

I see no problem with buying refurb.

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Got a Mac Pro refurb and really like it. Not a scratch on it.

20. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

:D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p

21. Cheerwino macrumors regular

I've bought only refurbs or display models for my last several macs. Never a problem. I mean, would you only date a girl who had never been out with anyone else? :rolleyes:

22. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Uh, well, I wouldn't date girl:p

We're getting our daughter an iPad for her birthday. She turns 16 in march, and our echange student turns 16 next week. Exchange student's dad was going to get her a netbook and I talked them into a refurb iPad instead- so we're ordering all 3 (hers, daugher's, and mine) in a week or so. VERY excited. :D