Refurbs have new matte coating?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MissGreen08, Mar 6, 2008.

1. MissGreen08 macrumors newbie

Since I wasn't getting any help from my other regular forum, and I've been lurking here for four or five months now, I joined.

I've been reading that with last week's update, the matte finish on the Macbook is different from the previous generation. Supposedly it is more resistant to fingerprints and grease now? Does anyone know if they will use that top case and cover on the refurbished models from the previous generation?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I got a refurb SR blackbook when the penryns were released and it is not resistant to grease/prints. I don't know if the new ones are either... Sounds like a rumor to me. But if there is a difference, the refurbs are not like the new ones.

3. dt1027 macrumors newbie

dt1027

was playing with a new Black MacBook in the store, don't know what everyone is talking about it had finger prints all over it.

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

any MATTE screen can still have some dirt ..and the occasional fingerprints but not as much as the Glossy.

it's still an LCD/LED screen.. it just has antiglare.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:confused:

The macbook has a glossy finish. Are you referring to the macbook pro?
    You can't compare store models to real life usage. They meet thousands of prying hands, finger, children, etc, and simply can't be an objective measure.

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

7. MissGreen08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't say Matte screen. I said Matte coating on the BLACK Macbook. I know the white is glossy.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahhh, you're referring to the casing. ;):)

I think many of us assumed it was the display.

As for your original question (now that I know what it is :p) I think the answer is that Apple will NOT use a new casing. Unless the macbook went through hell (ie had damage to its casing), odds are that the case is the same. It wouldn't be cost effective for Apple to replace displays "just because."

9. MissGreen08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure they don't replace the casing on refurbished models? Because most people I have talked to didn't have a single scratch on the casing. Wouldn't that mean that they replaced it?

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Not necessarily. Refurbished machines are often those that have an unexplainable malfunction. Most notebooks that go bad go bad very quickly, so the original customer doesn't have much time to "use" it. Only a handful (statistically) of customers will use their notebooks for extended periods before a major problem surfaces (that can't be repaired without drastic work on the notebook).

Nonetheless, I'm sure all refurbs pass QA and the case is looked at closely. If there's an obvious mark or scratch, I'm sure they do something to fix it, but they don't always have to replace the entire case.

So I think you should assume the following: the cases aren't necessarily new, but there is a chance given the particular history of your machine.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

they always replace the ipod cases so I imagine they replace or very thoroughly clean refurb laptops. Any laptops with uncleanable cosmetic issues probably get tossed in the trash.

12. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Not the one I got. It was badly scratched and the trackpad was well worn. It looked very tatty indeed so it was sent back.