Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Nice! Unfortunately, doesn't look as though it's available in the UK as yet...

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Yeah, I saw it this morning after weeks of wondering why there was no refurb iPad section in the store. Still, I think I might shy away from buying either a laptop or iPad from the refurb store because of potential issues from wear & tear (bumps, jostling, etc). It might pass Apple's rigorous testing now, but become an issue later. I don't expect the same problems from a refurb desktop (which is why my Mac mini was a refurb).

This is the same reason why I have bought the extended AppleCare on laptops but declined to do so on desktops - the laptops suffer more physical wear & tear as part of normal usage.

sprtnbsblplya

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2004
Arlington, VA
Never had a single problem ever with any of the three laptops I've purchased from the Apple refurb store. My MBP in my sig going strong on 2 years.

I'm considering getting a 16gb refurb to store .pdf and Powerpoints on to review after class, instead of a netbook. That is, if the outrageous Craigslist prices don't go down at all. People are asking $510-$525 for used 16gb wifi iPads here.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
$50 makes a difference for some people, I think this refurbished iPad will be a better value for some, who is thinking of getting tablet from other vendors.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I paid 399 dollars for 16GB ipad. It was new one and I got it from apple, so no way I am paying 449 dollars for refurbished iPad.

tastychicken

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
When you're paying $45k a year for tuition + living and textbooks, you find discounts wherever you can. And Apple refurbs are as good as new.

The thing that makes it less attractive is tax. You can buy a ipad from a online reseller and not have to pay tax and most of the time is free shipping. So you can get a 16GB Wifi for $499 total. Through Apple, you still have to pay tax which can add $25-$35 (depending on where you live) to your final price making it less attractive.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad there's a option for a refurb, i just don't think $50 dollars (and potentionally less with tax) difference would make me choose a refurb over a new one.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
The thing that makes it less attractive is tax. You can buy a ipad from a online reseller and not have to pay tax and most of the time is free shipping.
Ahhh, yes, good point. Thanks for reminding me of this before I got too excited about the refurbs! :)

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
The thing that makes it less attractive is tax. You can buy a ipad from a online reseller and not have to pay tax and most of the time is free shipping. So you can get a 16GB Wifi for $499 total. Through Apple, you still have to pay tax which can add $25-$35 (depending on where you live) to your final price making it less attractive.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad there's a option for a refurb, i just don't think $50 dollars (and potentionally less with tax) difference would make me choose a refurb over a new one.

yup, tax is almost 10% in CA.

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Will this hurt the resale value of the first gen come January/ February?

Yes. Apple refurbs are very good (one of the best in the industry, if not the best) with full warranty. Prices would go down on resales because there is a new alternative in which one would be dealing with Apple instead of the risks inherent to individual resales.

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
Yes. Apple refurbs are very good (one of the best in the industry, if not the best) with full warranty. Prices would go down on resales because there is a new alternative in which one would be dealing with Apple instead of the risks inherent to individual resales.

This is a good point. Damn apple for making such good refurbs (insert sarcasm).

Quick question- will the AppleCare plan I purchased with the iPad be transferrable to a buyer if I did eventually sell it?

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
?
Apple gave me 100 dollars coupon that you can take off 100 dollars on anything you purchase as long as you are buying a product that is 300 dollars or higher. 499-100=399 dollars.

So it WAS $499 then. Should have mentioned this earlier dude.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
?
Apple gave me 100 dollars coupon that you can take off 100 dollars on anything you purchase as long as you are buying a product that is 300 dollars or higher. 499-100=399 dollars.

Meh...so if you had waited you could have got one of these iPads for $349 then and got an even better deal...

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

I agree with you. The 50 bucks isn't much of a discount for a refurb.

I know that Apple has a great reputation with refurbs (my boss swears by her Macbook Air refurb) but I just don't think I would go this route. Just not for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.