Refurbs ship from where???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GovtLawyer, Jan 16, 2014.

1. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

I just ordered a refurb iMac. It will be shipped in a day or two, and I am tentatively scheduled to pick it up at my local Apple store on 1/30. When I asked the rep why it would take so long he told me it was shipped from overseas. That does not make sense to me.

If someone here in the states returns an iMac for whatever reason, why would it be shipped overseas (perhaps to China) to be refurbished? I would have thought it would be shipped to Cupertino or another Apple U.S. site for testing and refurbishing. It seems like an awful expense to ship it back overseas to just be turned around and shipped back.

Was the Apple guy wrong?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

That 4 day wait is a killer, isn't it!:eek:

:p :rolleyes:

3. Bear macrumors G3

I haven't bought a refurbished iMac in a while, but it shipped from Elk Grove, California. The refurbished iPod touch shipped from Asia.

You don't say where you are in the US, but remember it takes a week to go cross country if it's shipped within the US and they add a day or 2 for the Apple Store to process in the item. Usually the Apple Stores process them in promptly.

I've gotten stuff from Asia faster than from California using only the free shipping from Apple.

You'll get a better delivery date once the item ships.

4. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

It ships from California. If you pay for the upgraded shipping from the free, you get it in a couple days in NY - which I can tell you from personal experience.

The free shipping, I don't know. But ship to store always gives you a way later date - probably be there before the Jan 30th date though.

5. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Two weeks

It is scheduled to take two weeks from today 1/30/14 (not 4 days). If the item is already refurbed and up for sale, I figured two weeks from anywhere in the US, to the Apple Store in NYC where I will pick it up, is a long time. It may come sooner. The thrust of my original post is not that it is taking "SO LONG" as I unfortunately wrote, but that the guy from Apple, on the phone, told me it comes from overseas, and that made no sense to me.

I am more than willing to wait two weeks for a 2.9, 21.5" with Fusion drive, which cost me $260 less than retail price.

It seems to be the unanimous opinion from the posters, that it is coming from somewhere in the U.S., not overseas as the Apple guy said.

6. swiftflo macrumors regular

I ordered mine one afternoon and it was delivered next day at 10.00 am.

That's UK.

7. dangerly macrumors regular

Ordered a refurb 27" iMac, received it two days later.
    I live in Italy.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Remember weekend dates don't count for transit time. And it's 1-2 business days to ship. See what the delivery is scheduled for once it ships.

9. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i lived in elk grove before and bought an imac refurb i got it over night. :D...i think if i would of ordered it early enough say around 4-5 am i would of got it same day.

10. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

It is here

My iMac arrived at the Apple store in NYC yesterday - 6 days after I ordered it. It obviously did not come from overseas. Also, I never got a shipping update. I was simply notified that it is there. I am a happy camper. Will bring it home tomorrow.

11. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I live in the great Sacramento area, Elk Grove is less than 50 miles from my house. When I ordered my refurb with standard shipping I recieved it the next day.