Refurbs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dogslobber, May 28, 2015.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Notice that the 16gb models always go fastest for the 13" MBP models. That should give you hints to where the market is going. Don't be caught out by ordering an 8gb model.

2. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

Yeah just today I opened up Activity Monitor and saw I'm using 9.5GB/16GB with normal usage (no design apps open or anything, just Chrome, Spotify, Notes, Email). 8GB would not be enough for me, and the fact Apple still sells 4GB is ridiculous to me. OS X Yosemite uses more than that on its own

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You're reading memory values wrong.

Ever since Mavericks, RAM compression and caching have been introduced. So free RAM is wasted RAM. What you should look at is the memory pressure graph. If it's green, all well and good. Free RAM values are irrelevant, as OS X will use as much RAM as it can for compression and caching.

With these two, 8GB of RAM will act like 12GB of RAM, or around that. I'll repeat myself once more - free RAM is wasted RAM.

4. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

I see, I attached a screenshot of that section (with most of my apps closed down). You're saying that Memory Pressure graph is the real indicator? What does it look like when you're running out?

Attached Files:

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The graph hoes orange when the memory is getting tight and red when it really hasn't got enough for the current workload.

6. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Run memory_pressure if you want to see the graph in full flight.

bash-3.2$ sudo memory_pressure -l
    memory_pressure: option requires an argument -- l
    Usage: memory_pressure [options] [<pages>]
    Allocate memory and wait forever.
    Options include:
    -l <level> - allocate memory until a low memory notification is received (warn OR critical)
    -p <percent-free> - allocate memory until percent free is this (or less)
    -s <seconds> - how long to sleep between checking for a set percent level
    -w <percent-free> - don't allocate, just wait until percent free is this then exit
    -v <print VM stats> - print VM statistics every sampling interval
    -Q <quiet mode> - reduces the tool's output
    -S - simulate the system's memory pressure level without applying any real pressure

bash-3.2$

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The memory pressure graph will rise and turn orange, before going red. And when it's red, swapping will happen with the hard drive.