Refurbs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WRXHokie, Dec 9, 2008.

1. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Its been almost 2 months since apple released the new macbooks and macbook pros, and yet we haven't seen a single one make it to the refurb page yet. I thought it might been this week since their stock was dwindling on the old versions, but today a bunch more appeared. I'm thinking it may be till after xmas now. Anyone else find that odd?

Patiently waiting here...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. It takes months. There aren't any 4th gen nanos on the refurb pages yet, either.

3. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

I've seen them up in as little as 5 weeks from when they come out. Its been 2 months already.

4. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

It's usually 6 to 8 weeks before they appear but I think the Mac Pro's took a little longer. It doesn't strike me as odd that we have not seen them yet. I have a feeling we won't see them until after the holiday season. I'd sure like an aluminum macbook. :D

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I also have this feeling. They want you to pay the normal price, then once the holidays are over, you will see them popping up in the refurb store.

6. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

No offense, but i hope you are wrong. I'd like a new one before the holidays. My powerbook is slowly dieing.

7. carlgo macrumors 68000

Think of all they have to do.

The devices have to be sent to facilities from all over the world. They need to get the parts, testing devices and special tools. People have to be hired and trained to do the refurbing, they have to design and procure shipping materials and documentation, the devices have to get to the shipping place and all the people there have to know how to do that, how to bill out, etc.

Also, all the Apple personnel have to know what the policies, warranties, etc are, how to explain refurbs, etc. And there must be people who re-install the software.

It is a big enterprise for sure. I love refurbs.

8. adelphos macrumors newbie

I sincerely hope the refurbs come out any time soon!
    I'm going to college in the US and I really want to buy a Mac ! Just trying to decide which one I should get.

9. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

refirb

i would not expect to see them until the Clearance specials are gone.

10. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

That infrastructure shouldn't have changed from the previous generation of macbooks/macbook pros. Thus the turnaround would be much faster than what you describe. What you described would literally take years to set up from scratch.

11. descartes macrumors 6502

I agree. they need to move the old stuff first. I doubt you will see refurbs before xmas. Probably sometime mid january but that's just a guess.

12. weekend warrior macrumors member

Will all the last-gen notebooks be gone when the newer ones show up or will they further reduce the price?

ps to WRXHokie, you have a Subie WRX? :)

13. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

If I was apple I'd release them after the holidays as to not cut into new unit sales.

Zack

14. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

WRXHokie

I do I do... great car.