Refurbs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Feb 23, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I am planning on buying my first ever Mac in the next month. I was set on buying a brand new Macbook Pro but I happened to see some pretty good deals in the Apple Store on some refurbished ones. Are you able to tell any difference between a new MBP and a refurbished MBP? Is the warranty the same as if I purchased a new one? Can you use an education discount or is that only good for new MBP's? Saving a couple hundred bucks really has me tempted to buy refurbished right now!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The warranty on the refurb store is the same as on a new computer, you can even still buy AppleCare on a refurb.

In theory, they should be just as reliable, if not MORE than a new one, seeing how it was new, and was then repaired...so it SHOULD have no flaws the 2nd time around :p

From looking at my academic store online, no, education discounts don't appear to apply to refurbished models.

3. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

4. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I am going to look into buying refurbished now.

5. EB66 macrumors 6502

ill be another to recommend refurbs they are pretty much all I buy because you don't lose near as much when you resell a year later and they are identical to new macs

if you get lucky some refurbs also come with better specs than what is stock such as more ram

6. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I got a refurb'd MBP last fall, and it's great. Good as new, and $1000 less! I've bought 3 different refurb'd computers from Apple, and they all looked brand new, and had no issues.

7. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I bought my iPod Classic refurbished. It looked (and still looks) great. It came in a white box that said "iPod," so that's the only difference. Bought it for $169. I saved so much money. :D

8. lazydesi macrumors 6502

hey,

dont worry about refurb, they will be in good condition (most of them). I brought two machines from refurb store and both of them works fine with out a problem

9. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

One more question I forgot about a refurb...Are the batteries brand new? or will I be getting a Macbook that has already had cycles on its battery already? Thanks

10. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I try to order everything on the refurb site. I've had such a great experience with it. I order my Iphone, my wife's Iphone, a time capsule and just last week my 2.4 Unibody MBP. It came with a new battery, just 1 cycle on it. The thing looks brand new. I highly recommend the refurb site. I recommend it to most of my friends. In all they have ordered MBP and Macbook Airs.

Enjoy...

11. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

If you buy a refurb from the online site, and have to return it for some reason, do you have to return it via mail? Or can you take it into the store?

12. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

IMO - the refurb store is apple's way to striate the market - where those who really want to spend less will take a look and those who really don't mind will buy retail. It's marketing 101.

I've bought several refurb items and they've all been great. You just don't get the fancy packaging...

If I wasn't in ADC, I'd buy all my stuff up there.