refworks not mac friendly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iarasando, Apr 28, 2010.

1. iarasando macrumors newbie

I have been using refworks through the university subscription and I find the program quite useful: downloads references from internet sources and makes them available through the internet including articles uploaded to the users account... but it has one major drawback, the references are not downloaded formated and I have to correct manually each one of the references that include italics or special characters... each time I write the bibliography!

I wrote to Refworks support and they sent me a link with the compatible software but although safari is listed among the compatible browsers, it is not supported (as they explicitly noted in the response).

So it is either downloading a browser I don't like only to use with Refworks or change the reference manager altogether. I would prefer that the Refworks team solved the incompatibility problem so I can keep my macintosh applications and my current reference manager... and considering that the number of mac users is increasing, specially among university students who are the main users of reference manager tools, I think it is certainly worth it to commit a research technical team to the task.

2. Castledine macrumors newbie

Castledine

RefWorks is Mac Friendly

Hi,
    Safari will work fine for RefWorks except that is missing the formatting buttons in the reference editor. It is a known bug. FireFox is recommended as it doesn't have this problem. That said, if you need to use Italics (or other formatting) in the bibliography you should just modify the output style that you are using. That way your bibliography will be formatted exactly how you want without having to edit the paper each time. For information about using the RefWorks output style editor go to http://www.refworks.com/Refworks/help/helpmainframe.asp?P=Using_the_Output_Format_Editor2.htm
    If you have any other questions about using RefWorks let me know.

3. iarasando thread starter macrumors newbie

If I have to install FireFox or any other program to circumvent a "known bug" it means that Safari won't work fine.
    Modifying the output style will only change the format of entire entries, if I have for example italics inside the title of my reference (as in scientific names of organisms) then I have to manually modify each one of the words in the output, every time I cite the specific reference.

... and I have contacted the technical support and although prompt in their replies, they don't really help in solving the known bug...

as I said, Refworks is a nice reference manager program, but it is not mac friendy