Reg-Full BackUp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by infinitymedia, May 22, 2012.

1. infinitymedia macrumors newbie

Hi There,
    I Would like to Format my Mac. I thought to get full backUp via Time manager . It just taking updates for backup. that means partial backup but not all the time.

I backUp my Mac on MAY 1. It is not a full backup. In order to get full backup What I should Do now?

Thank You,

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

For a full backup, I would recommend cloning your hard drive. That way you have everything, and can boot off of the backup. You can use "Carbon Copy Cloner" for this.

3. infinitymedia thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to backup the Time Machine with the in-build functions in MAC...

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

Oh, in that case I don't see what you're trying to accomplish... the incremental backups provided by time machine should still have all the files you need. Am I missing something here?

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Time machine makes a back up of all of the user files. That includes your account, your preferences, your personal files, your installed programs, etc.

Time machine does not back up the operating system itself.

Time machine IS a full back up of all of your files.
    Time machine is also version control.
    The first time it runs, it backs all of your files.
    The next time it runs, it only saves the changes you've made to your files. Since most of your files remain the same, only a few things get backed up.

----------------------------------------

If you want a clean installation of OSX, then time machine is all you need.

1) Use time machine to make a backup of your system to an external hard drive.
    2) Use the OSX install disc to reformat your current hard drive.
    3) Use the OSX install disc to install OSX.
    4) When you are prompted to make a new user, select "migrate from time machine backup" (I don't remember the exact wording, but it's like that).
    5) Your done.

This gives you a fresh install of the operating system, and then it restores all of your stuff.

-----------------------------------------

If you don't want a clean installation, but instead want to migrate to a new hard drive (say you bought a faster one or a bigger one) then you can simply clone your current drive to the new one. That copies the operating system as well as all of your files.