Reg 'Search for' in 'FINDER'

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guamlite, Oct 11, 2010.

1. guamlite macrumors newbie

can I delete all files located in 'Search for' in FINDER:
    Today
    Yesterday
    Past Week
    All Images
    All Movies
    All Documents ?

can .ipmeta files be deleted.

thank you in advance for any assistance
    Bennette

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, as the files are located on your entire HDD and are only listed there as a SEARCH result. If you want to delete files, go to the respective folder and delete from there, but deleting all files listed in the SEARCH results might and have lead to messy results.

.ipmeta files

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Btw, what does "Reg 'Search for' in 'FINDER'" mean?

3. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Can you?... yes.
    [should you?... it depends.]

Can they?... yes.
    [should they?... it depends.]

I'm not sure what exactly you may have meant there... but, we certainly can delete (one, several, or all) items listed in a Finder/Spotlight search results window. I.e., no need to "go to the respective folder and delete from there" in any case.

Whether or not one should delete items listed in a search results window is a separate issue (and i agree that dumping iPhoto metadata may not be a particularly good idea).

--

EDIT: what the heck is a question like this doing in a "MacBook Pro" forum anyway???

4. guamlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Reg 'Search for' in FINDER

I have a 'MacBook Pro'.

in the FINDER folder there is a 'Search for' folder & that's where all the files are located that the question was for deleting. There are quite a bit of files, over 2000 files in each.

BTW, 'Reg' is 'Regarding', I'll try not to use shortcut words.

Thanks for all the response.
    Bennette

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Your personal files are most likely located under Macintosh HD (name of the volume/partition Mac OS X is installed onto) / Users / YOU (guamlite for example), where the Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures and Movies folders are located.

The Sidebar is a place to put shortcuts, or as Mac OS X calls them Aliases.
    The Search For (Today, Yesterday, Past Week, All Images, All Movies, All Documents) is a shortcut too, not an actual place where files are stored.

As Hal Itosis clarified, you can delete from there, but it most likely will wreak havoc with your system. If you don't want to damage your Mac OS X installation, it is better to go to the actual file/folder outside of the Search For function. You can use the Path Bar (Finder > View > Show/Hide Path Bar) to jump from the search results to the actual folder the file or folder resides in.

Did that clarify the situation?

AGAIN: Do not use the Search For function in the Finder Sidebar to delete files, go to the actual folder, where the file(s) or folder(s) reside in and delete from there.