zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This is regarding TM in SnowL. I have a 4TB ext drive but in TM preferences, in the Backup Exclude Drives window, that 4TB drive is seen as 1.1GB. In other words it will not show its full storage capacity which would be 4TB but only 1.1GB... now is that supposed to be normal?

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
It's been a while since I've used SL, but in the current version of TM prefs that window displays the size of the CONTENTS of the drive or folder, not the size of the drive itself. Could it be the backup drive only has 1.1GB of data on it currently?

Comment

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It's been a while since I've used SL, but in the current version of TM prefs that window displays the size of the CONTENTS of the drive or folder, not the size of the drive itself. Could it be the backup drive only has 1.1GB of data on it currently?
No the drive is purely empty, i just purchased it and formatted it -wholly- so it cant have anything inside.

Comment

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
I understand that, but even a freshly-formatted drive is going to have some space consumed by filesystem overhead, etc.

Can you do me a favor and right-click/ctrl-click the 4TB drive and select "Get Info", then see what it says for the "Used:" value?

Also, please note that you don't have to exclude the TM drive itself from TM, it's smart enough to do that on its own. Does TM report that the drive is/has 4TB in the main TM Pref pane? It will say "X of N available." That will tell you if TM is really misreporting the size of if you're misunderstanding what is being shown.

Comment

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Used: 91,910,907,272 bytes (91.91 GB on disk)

Comment

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
I dont see what you are saying.. the "X of N"???

System Preferences -> Time Machine

What does it say for "Available?" If THAT is also saying 1.1GB then there's an issue, if it says "N of 4 TB" available (Where "N" is some number) then it's just user error on your part and misunderstanding what the disk/folder exclusion list is showing you.

time-machine-snow-leopard.png

Comment

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
System Preferences -> Time Machine

What does it say for "Available?" If THAT is also saying 1.1GB then there's an issue, if it says "N of 4 TB" available (Where "N" is some number) then it's just user error on your part and misunderstanding what the disk/folder exclusion list is showing you.

View attachment 700890
It sais 3.9TB of 4TB

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.