Regarding a drive's storage capacity in TMachine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, May 20, 2017.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

This is regarding TM in SnowL. I have a 4TB ext drive but in TM preferences, in the Backup Exclude Drives window, that 4TB drive is seen as 1.1GB. In other words it will not show its full storage capacity which would be 4TB but only 1.1GB... now is that supposed to be normal?

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

It's been a while since I've used SL, but in the current version of TM prefs that window displays the size of the CONTENTS of the drive or folder, not the size of the drive itself. Could it be the backup drive only has 1.1GB of data on it currently?

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

No the drive is purely empty, i just purchased it and formatted it -wholly- so it cant have anything inside.

4. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I understand that, but even a freshly-formatted drive is going to have some space consumed by filesystem overhead, etc.

Can you do me a favor and right-click/ctrl-click the 4TB drive and select "Get Info", then see what it says for the "Used:" value?

Also, please note that you don't have to exclude the TM drive itself from TM, it's smart enough to do that on its own. Does TM report that the drive is/has 4TB in the main TM Pref pane? It will say "X of N available." That will tell you if TM is really misreporting the size of if you're misunderstanding what is being shown.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Used: 91,910,907,272 bytes (91.91 GB on disk)

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Ok, and for the second question I asked in my post...?

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I dont see what you are saying.. the "X of N"???

8. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

System Preferences -> Time Machine

What does it say for "Available?" If THAT is also saying 1.1GB then there's an issue, if it says "N of 4 TB" available (Where "N" is some number) then it's just user error on your part and misunderstanding what the disk/folder exclusion list is showing you.

time-machine-snow-leopard.png

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

It sais 3.9TB of 4TB

10. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Then you're good to go, it's seeing all 4TB. The drive exclusion list was displaying what I suspected, it was showing used space and not drive capacity.