Regarding Apple ID.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by defunct32, Sep 17, 2013.

1. defunct32 macrumors regular

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, Mods please move accordingly if I've started this thread in the wrong place, thank you.

Ok. I already have an iPod touch but am planning to get another one, I am wondering should I create a new Apple ID for use with my other iPod or can I use the existing one on the other iPod? I am concerned with using the same ID on two iDevices at the same time, will it cause problems? Is it even possible in the first place? I have bought a lot of apps on my current ID ($200+ worth of game apps). If let's say I sell off my old iPod I can just login with my current ID on my new iPod and re-download all the purchased apps, right?

Any help and insights are very much appreciated, thanks!

2. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Yes you can use the Apple ID on multiple devices. You can download the apps you purchased on your new device - so long as you use the same ID. If you sell off your old iPod make sure you do a factory restore, or at least deauthorize your account on it.

Not sure of the exact limit off the top of my head, but I think you can authorize either 5 or 10 devices? Can never remember which.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Manage the devices on your Apple ID is easy at the Apple web site My Apple ID.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Having multiple devices on the same ID is how you get iCloud to work. A new address or photo from one shows up on all the others. The only trick is communication between devices (say between family members). In this case, you want to set a unique 'caller Id' for each person/device - prevents echos.

5. defunct32 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much everyone! I am not sharing the iPods with any family members or doing any kind of network.

I was told by someone that having two of the same Apple IDs active at the same time on different devices is considered "stealing," because you're downloading paid content, which I dunno... sound kinda stupid? Since it is my account and MY iPods! The current 32GB that I have is not enough for all my gaming needs so I'm getting a 64GB sometimes around end of the year, so I needed clarifications.

Thank you.