Regarding Apple's lawsuit with Samsung over the Galaxy Tab...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tarzanman, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I finally got to use a Galaxy Tab 10.1 some this weekend. I own a Galaxy Tab 7 (the old one), but it is quite different from the newer model.

I will say this: Apple must be crazy if they think that their lawsuit will hold up (which they probably don't). Even as a long time Android user (bought the original Android phone), it took me a minute or two to get accustomed to navigating through Samsung's launcher (and where to find apps, settings, etc).

I don't see how anyone with at least half a brain could sit down with the two devices for more than 3 minutes and not see how different they are.

No wonder they had to resort to doctoring the images.

2. *LTD*, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Samsung needs to keep handing over their stuff to Apple. That isn't normal.

They've also been made to remove it from trade shows, remove it from sale in certain markets, etc.

That isn't normal. Here's the latest:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13296103&postcount=43

Yeah, Apple is crazy. Crazy like a genius.

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

Apple aren't suing samsung over the way the launcher works. Read up on the case some more. They're suing over the visual design (not sure about the tablets, but some of their phones looked nearly identical to the iPhone in the past in both hardware + software) and some of the software features.

Personally, I don't really care which way this goes. On the one hand, it's "bad for competition" if samsung etc. can't build an ipad-like device. On the other hand, it's bad for innovation if these companies are making iPad clones instead of figuring out something new. Apple pretty much created the touchscreen smartphone market, and the touchscreen tablet market - what have samsung brought to the table? Perhaps if they're forced out of these parts of the market they'll come back with something innovative, then everyone would win.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks a lot like iPad 2 design...

The original Galaxy Tab 10.1 was way thicker and it looked very different at the MWC 2011. All of sudden, apple announces iPad 2 and Samsung announces the newer version of Galaxy tab 10.1. I thought it was iPad 2 version of Android.

Apple is winning in these law suits and they are winning for a reason.

Samsung copies apple too much.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

As far as I have noticed apple keeps showing a picture of the iPhone 3gs running ios3 on the springboard and comparing it to a Samsung phone with the launcher up to say Samsung is copying their design. There is no way you can say that Samsung is copying iOS anymore than any other android manufacturer. Apple is being ridiculous with that one.

Regarding the hardware, Yeah I'll admit that some of Samsung's products do sort of resemble the iPhone3gs so maybe apple has some ground to stand on there. I dont know about everything else but I think the whole situation is insane and apple needs to worry about making their products better which was historically their mission, not suing everyone who makes something that vaguely resembles their products.

6. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

I agree with Psonice. This is a mixed bag. One the one hand, Apple should be able to enforce its design patent, if the patent is legitimate, but if Apple can block tablet sales by using its patent against its competition, it may be bad for consumer choice, innovation, and competition. Ultimately, I think we are better off letting these guys compete, but not allow Samsung to openly copy Apple's entire design. The Galaxt Tab looks too much like a copy of the iPad.

7. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

If they want to innovate, and be original, let them design stuff that is their own, with their own flourishes. Letting them continue to leech off apples design is not choice at all.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

"isn't normal" based on what? You're extensive experience with this type of litigation? And if it turns out that Samsung was intentionally trying to rip off Apple then you'd just give them a pass?

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I'm surprised Apple hasn't gone after Roku. The new one looks exactly like the Apple TV. Well, except for the little blue tag that sticks out from the Roku.

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

In fact, Apple hasn't won anything yet. They have temporary injunctions in Germany and Australia while their effort to extend the injunction to the entire EU was tossed out in a Dutch court.

However, none of this has to do with winning and losing lawsuits. It's part of a general trend in negotiating relationships among major electronic manufacturers to use legal action (and threats of legal action) as part of the overall bargaining process among those companies. Apple is not going to the rights to rectangular tablets with an on/off button. They may well, however, reach an agreement with Samsung to call off all the expensive legal wrangling in return for an arrangement reached in private.

----------

Probably because Roku doesn't own a patent that Apple wants.