Regarding Battery Life on 2011 MBP Refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FYDave, Feb 24, 2011.

1. FYDave, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

FYDave macrumors member

Hey everyone. I've been lurkin' for the last few days poking through the threads about the refresh of the MBP line.

Before I start, please don't bring in the trollercoaster on to this thread. I'm posting my experiences so far with this latest refresh of the line and I don't necessarily expect anyone else to get the same results as our usage patterns will likely be different.

I picked up a new top tier 15" MacBook Pro today not because I needed the upgrade but because upgrading didn't cost me anything this time around so why not, right? :)

So the new battery life times on the MacBook Pros is "officially" quoted to be 7 hours and I can understand why a lot of people would be unhappy about this if it were true.

So far, though, my battery life seems to be just about the same as the battery life of the April 2010 generation of MacBook Pros.

I have my screen brightness set to about 45% and I'm connected to Wi-Fi and my little battery meter up top is giving me a range of 7 to 9 hours of battery life remaining. Earlier this afternoon when I was doing a few more intensive tasks with some MS Office, Pixelmator, and Aperture I was looking at about 4 hours. That means that my range is currently beating out what the maximum officially quoted battery life should manage.

So, so far it seems like the battery life isn't turning out to a let down at all. It seems approximately as long lasting as the last generation and is, as many have stated, still far better than many other available lines of laptops on the market.

Whaddoya guys think? If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer 'em with the limited experience and time that I've spent with this new machine so far.

2. Hornzog macrumors member

My new 13" i5 lasted me nearly 6 hours upon first full charge and that was during installing/transferring/downloading ~100gb worth of apps/media. Very impressed to far.

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It's the same battery as before. They just changed the battery test to give a more accurate number for actual usage.

They used to turn Wi-Fi off and put the minimum brightness and do nothing (TextEdit or something). Now they browse the web with 50% brightness, hence the difference. Your battery is new too so it may actually last longer than your old MBP.

4. entilda macrumors newbie

I'm jealous. Mine lasted about three hours during the installing/transferring process. Thanks for posting this. It helps me.