Regarding Hackintoshing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by omaramir83, Aug 4, 2013.

1. omaramir83 macrumors newbie

Hello guys! This is my first thread here, so don't be mad if I posted in the wrong section (correct me if I'm wrong). Is there a difference between Hackintoshing your PC and running Mac OS X on a VM? What the are the differences (specifically, major differences)? Can I use Mac OS X apps such as Xcode on a Mac OS X VM? If I would Hackintosh my PC laptop, what is the best way to do it?
    Thank you.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It is the same difference as running Windows in a VM vs bootcamp. You can try making a VM but it's possible you'll run into things not working. There's a guide here: http://www.sysprobs.com/easily-run-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-retail-on-pc-with-vmware-image

Hackintoshes are harder to set up (and you must have compatible, intel-based hardware) but once they are they'll run anything.

Of course, both methods are unsupported by Apple.

If you want to learn more you are better off checking out a Hackintosh forum like tonymac. The guide there is pretty straightforward.

3. omaramir83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I understand. I will install a VM first then if it goes as I prefer, I'd probably make a Hackintosh. My PC laptop is intel-based by the way. I know tonymacx86 but I still want to know whether Mac's apps will work on a VM?

4. omaramir83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanted also to know if my Intel-based PC laptop could be Hackintoshed. Here's the specs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you.

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

It should work. The Core iX CPU's are supported well, and as of Lion, the Intel HD 3000 graphics are also supported. You MIGHT still run into issues with sound or networking. Those are the 4 things that really make the difference on whether or not you get a successful mackintosh.

6. omaramir83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, So these may work well with Mountain Lion? For the networking, I know that my WiFi card might not work, so I'll use an Ethernet cable if necessary to access the internet on this OS, but to make a Mac OS X as a VM, will the sound and networking be an issue also (In a VM not Hackintosh)? Also I want
    to know whether Mac's apps will work on a VM or not?

Thank you.

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

A VM works by emulating a set of hardware that best suits the guest OS, so if your VM is set up with Mac in mind it should be okay. http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/08/how-to-run-mac-os-x-on-any-windows-pc-using-virtualbox/
    A VM can run everything that the real thing can, aside from utilities that manipulate hardware(i.e., Speedfan, things like that almost definitely won't work)