Regarding iCloud Keychain, what if you are not using your own computer?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by coldjeanzzz, Oct 9, 2013.

1. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

This is something I don't understand at all. So iCloud keychain will generate a really random password for me and store it in the cloud or whatever and I will no longer have to remember passwords.

How is this at all logical? If I am trying to access my email from any device other than my own MacBook Air how is it supposed to work? Are the passwords stored online and then I have to go to a website to retrieve it if I am not using my own Mac? This seems like it causes way more trouble more so than fixing any current problem, as I will no longer be able to login to any websites with my Android device or someone else's computer. :confused:

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I'm thinking about the same issue too. How am I supposed to enter the generated password in my work PC?

If iCloud keychain supports displaying the generated password via an app in iOS then it may solve the problem.

3. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

You can see and retrieve them in iOS now.

Settings > Safari > Passwords & AutoFill > Saved Passwords

With iCloud Keychain nothing changes except that these passwords are now synced across all Safari instances.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Or you can use 1Password, which has a simpler implementation.

5. coldjeanzzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I played around with it today, it seems like it could be useful but even if I was an iOS user I could still seeing it being a burden. Any time I visit someone and use their computer or use a device that doesn't belong to me I can't log in to a single website that I want to unless I have my iOS device with me and can see the password and manually type it into the other device. That's a pain in the ass and if I didn't have my iOS device with me I'd be out of luck. Was Apple's logic that most people don't use devices that don't belong to them so it won't matter? Even if that's true, there will always be an occasion where you will want to login from another device and you're screwed in that case.

Neat concept but just doesn't execute very well

6. Bear macrumors G3

You still need to enter username/password for a website on a computer that isn't your own. You don't have to use generated passwords if you don't want to and still use iCloud Keychain.