regarding sharing function

Discussion in 'macOS' started by barcaster, Sep 5, 2008.

1. barcaster macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

If i am on a school network (accessing internet in school dorm), and i have all the sharing functions unchecked, would it still be possible for people to access informations from my computer? specifically files and such.

Or so i heard that, unless the "hacker" is physically at your computer with yoru passwrds,.etc people cant access or take specific files from you via internet? is that true? or even if it is done via spywares etc, that would be unlikely to be applied on macs would it?

thanks in advance

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You can't be 100% hack proof, but you can make your computer more secure and less attractive to a hacker.

1) Currently, there's no virus or spyware on OS X. Most new hacks I've seen require the user to click on something or enter their password or require physical access to the computer.

2) If you haven't already, you can turn on the Firewall. It is turned off by default in Leopard. Possibly, because there's issues with it regarding blocking applications even though you set it up to be allowed.

Either just allow only essential applications or selected applications.

System Preferences > Security > Firewall

If you have issues with applications after setting up the Firewall, search the forums.

3) Aside from setting up your computer security, you should also be careful with your behavior.

- Don't click on email links from unreliable sources
    - Don't download software from unreliable sources
    - Don't leave your computer unattended in an unsecure location or without password protection

3. barcaster thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i know about how i shouldnt click links and all, and my firewall is on.

but my main "question" is that can someone possibly just say, access my files or even take them without physical access to my computer, or even like if i am to send a file to my friend through skype , can people steal it at the same time or what so ever? presuming that my firewall is on .etc , since i am on a school network?