Regarding that one Comic program and legality

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZiggyPastorius, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I'm in the U.S, if it matters, and I'm wondering...my friend has a pre-SR, pre-Leopard white Macbook, and I have an SR, Leopard White Macbook. Her laptop came with a program called like Comic life or iComic or Comicbook or something, that makes comics, and I kind of want it, just to screw around with. Is it illegal to just copy his app to my computer?

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Probably OK, it's just a demo copy. You have to pay for a full copy.

3. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

4. jfull15 macrumors 6502

No, thats completely illegal. It's called ComicLife tho, & it's like $30. You can, download a trial straight from Plasq - http://plasq.com/comiclife/ that is completely legal.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In general:
    A program bundled with a computer has been licensed by the computer maker for use on that computer only. It is not 'free' or 'shareware' and cannot be (legally) installed on additional computers, unless the license for that software specifically allows it as shareware or freeware.

6. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware exactly what the program was, and just looked at it really quick one day and thought it was cool. I didn't realise it wasn't free, or that it wasn't made by Apple. Just some ignorance on my part :) Thanks for the info.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Can't help but commending you for wanting to do this legally. Way to go. :)

8. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Well, shamedly enough, when I was a bit younger, I did quite a bit of pirating, but, as I got a little older, I stopped doing because my political and moral views are very strong against any sort of thievery, and I didn't want to contradict what I preach/believe. I've since abandoned all pirated material, and do everything 100% legally. It's a good feeling :)

9. jfull15 macrumors 6502

Why are we commending people for something they should do? It's like complimenting people because they don't kill people... It's something they shouldn't do.

10. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Sense. Your Post Makes it.
    :D

11. Yaris macrumors regular

I think it's because nowadays, it might just be easier to use a software disk multiple times on different computers. I think it's fine to compliment someone on doing the right thing and taking the effort to find out if what he did was legal.

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Because there're more than enough people on this board who make it clear that they don't get their programs legally, and they'll tell you off in a minute if you suggest that they should.

No reason at all not to say "good for you" to anyone who does something the right way.