Regarding the Leopard Family pack

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iEugene, Oct 18, 2007.

1. iEugene macrumors regular

iEugene

I have just read a few threads on the subject and think that I have a general grasp on the idea, but I want anyone elses opinion.

Myself and four other friends of mine own Mac's (I got them all to switch!) and two of them are very excited for Leopard while the other two want it because they want to be up to date. In short, everyone of my friends, including myself, wants it. So I figured that we would all pitch in and get the family pack and share it amongst each other. Because first of all, we're all students with limited income and bills to pay as it is, so splitting the money is like sharing an apartment, it just makes things simpler.

After reading around on the forums, people seem to be saying that I am not allowed to buy a family pack copy and install it on multiple Mac's that do not reside in my home. Now I assume this is where ethics can come into play because if we purchased the software, don't we have the right to legally place it all on our machines? Since we are not re-selling or re-distributing? Is Apple trying to secretly say, "we're watching your every move" and that if I so dare as to put Leopard on another person's Mac who doesn't live with me that they are going to find out and that I will loose Leopard all together via some software update or something?

I'm a bit confused at this, because when I see the term "family pack" I normally just use the term "multi-pack" because to me it's just multiple copies of the same thing. Now I FULLY understand the whole argument about, "well you do understand that you are only getting one single install disk" and that if theoretically something were to go wrong with someone else's machine and they needed to reinstall the disk the person who has the disc would have to get it to them.

Theoretically if I purchase the family pack, am I allowed to install it up to 5 computers, period? And what would technically happen if I attempted to install it on a sixth or seventh? (I assume this would be grounds for being illegal, it is a hypothetical question as I only have 4 other Mac user friends).

I appreciate any replies, and thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That is correct.

No.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As you've said, there are lots of other posts on the topic. The family pack license allows for installation on five computers in a single household. Anything else, such as what you're proposing, is a violation of the terms of the license.

Will Apple hunt you down and sue you? Almost certainly not. But the more people who violate the license in this manner, the greater the impetus for Apple to implement Microsoft-style copy protection/authorization.

So just don't do it...it's simple.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Apple is publicly saying, "We trust you to do the right thing". This generally worked with people who didn't grow up on the Microsoft "You screw me, so I'll screw you" philosophy. Family pack means people who share the same household, including members who are away at college.

We both know what you want it to mean, but it doesn't. For what it's worth you can install a single version on multiple computers or steal the money and buy a whole new computer. It is a question of where you draw the line. Where Apple has drawn the line is clear. Best wishes

5. VJV macrumors newbie

Leopard Family Pack

Hi all

I am in a very similar situation. I want to share the leopard family with my other 4 friends...my concern is that can i replicate the OSX leopard DVD? coz in the future i might want to keep it for my self...so basically can we replicate the original DVD?

Tks

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No.

7. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Legally, I don't think so..

Physically, yes; You will need a DL DVD though...

8. projectle macrumors 6502

One *CAN* duplicate their install DVD, however it is one of those legal grey areas...

One can legally duplicate for backup purposes, however one can not use it as long as the original physically exists.

It is not even slightly legal for the whole buy a family pack with 4 other people and split it.

If you were roommates, it would be okay as it is one household, but if that is not the case than you are breaking the law, and you will feel REALLY, REALLY bad about it. I mean it, you may even toss and turn!

9. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

The license restrictions are rather dumb. I'm putting my family pack licenses on my iMac at home and my wife's Macbook at home, and on my Powerbook, which follows me from home to work and back again, and pretty much everywhere else I go.

Does this Powerbook reside in my home? Well, it sleeps there. Does that count? ;)

You'd think someone would have noticed that computers are rather mobile these days.

10. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

On the other hand, where they would be prepared to prosecute is probably different. If you buy a family license between 4 friends, it will probably get them angry (and reasonably so, since that would be clear abuse), but I doubt they would care if someone buys a family pack and installs 4 licenses on the macs at his home and the other on the old mac at his holiday home.

Prosecution in that case would be petty, but, on the other hand, never underestimate the pettiness of lawyers.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here. My father, who lives in another state, basically gave life to me so we are splitting it. It's also going on my wife's MB. I really don't have a problem with that. After all, it does say Family Pack. Who reads the EULA anyway? They ought to be banned. Seriously though, if it weren't for this forum I would have thought family meant what it says no matter if I live with them currently or not.

12. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

The real problem here is that the law always has to be too precise for reality. If you buy a family pack, then you can reasonably assume it can be used by your family if you all pretty much live in the same place. What happens if Johnny or Janey goes off to college next year and takes their computer? Should they uninstall Leopard? That would be stupid.

Since there's no copy protection, and the license terms are somewhat vague given portable machines, I guess that common sense is the answer. i.e. don't give a license to all your friends, but no-one will raise a ruckus if your daughter is only home on weekends. Or what about kids who are shuffled between divorced parents?

I doubt Apple really wants to compel people to buy Leopard multiple times just because their home situation doesn't quite fit the white bread norm.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Right, I know that Apple won't pursue that type of violation because they really wouldn't have a clue. I was rather addressing the morality of it. If Apple wanted people to use the licenses correctly by their terms they better call it something else besides Family Pack because there isn't one person I know that reads the EULA before they buy software ... or even after for that matter.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, they can continue to use Leopard...that situation is covered by the family pack license. Students away at school whose permanent residence remains with the family pack location are entitled to use the family pack.

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

First, the Family Pack Restrictions (per Apple):

"The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users."

A laptop taken on the road or back to school is not an issue; you are part of the same household.

Second, it is not illegal or unlawful to install in violation of the EULA. Apple is not a law-making entity. It is actionable however, and subject to civil suit, as it is essentially a breaking of a contract agreement between you & Apple. You will not go to jail, but you can be sued. Exceedingly unlikely, in any case.

Third, this is all based on the honor system. If you have to ask, then there's obviously something resembling a conscience. C'mon, it's $129 (or $69, or $116) for single-user copies if you don't qualify as a household. How much do you spend partying? Or on CD's? Or on road trips? Spring Break? Starbucks? The freaking Mac you want it for? If if is honestly that much of a hardship, how about just not upgrading? Is 10.whatever broke? Is it that life-altering to not upgrade?

Just do what you will, and if Apple starts charging more, or employing some draconian authentication scheme, we'll all still be here waiting for the next round of wailing and bickering.

16. raymondh macrumors newbie

selling a mac?

If I install leopard from a family pack license on my Mac's at home and then decide to sell one of them, can I do that?

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The license terms would require you to rollback the operating system to whatever came with the computer or another upgrade for which you can supply the discs and license to the buyer.

It's best to do a clean install anyway in order to make sure your data is erased.