Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
On Big Sur, adding ocsp.apple.com to my hosts file doesn't work for me.

I added this line to /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 ocsp.apple.com

And ocsp.apple.com still loads on web browsers. I tried restarting my Mac, which didn't fix anything, and I verified the hosts file works on other websites.

Can anyone verify if adding ocsp.apple.com to the hosts file works on Big Sur?

Reactions: SpiritSoul1008

SpiritSoul1008

macrumors member
May 23, 2019
On Big Sur, adding ocsp.apple.com to my hosts file doesn't work for me.

I added this line to /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 ocsp.apple.com

And ocsp.apple.com still loads on web browsers. I tried restarting my Mac, which didn't fix anything, and I verified the hosts file works on other websites.

Can anyone verify if adding ocsp.apple.com to the hosts file works on Big Sur?
Works for me.

Reactions: Ternary

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I went ahead and added 0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com to my hosts file, this is absolutely no reason for apple to collect the info that it collects from this ocsp service. Gatekeeper is fully enabled and functioning as it should so blocking the ocsp has no effect on gatekeeper whatsoever and the Mac is fully protected from any potential malware.

Reactions: SpiritSoul1008

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
I went ahead and added 0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com to my hosts file, this is absolutely no reason for apple to collect the info that it collects from this ocsp service. Gatekeeper is fully enabled and functioning as it should so blocking the ocsp has no effect on gatekeeper whatsoever and the Mac is fully protected from any potential malware.

Having done that, what do you see when you type ocsp.apple.com into Safari's address bar and hit return?

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Is anyone else still having this problem?

I’m running Mojave (last OS supported by my Mac) and applications hang at launch. It almost freezes my entire UI for many seconds.

Editing /etc/hosts to direct ocsp.apple.com to 127.0.0.1 instantly resolves my problem.

I thought Apple resolved this....

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
That's strange. I get a page saying "403 - Forbidden".
That means that its not blocked on your end properly in the hosts file. you didnt do something right, it should give you the same message that i'm getting if you blocked it properly in the hosts file

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
That means that its not blocked on your end properly in the hosts file. you didnt do something right, it should give you the same message that i'm getting if you blocked it properly in the hosts file
Can you recap what the proper way is to block in the hosts file?

When I try on Chrome it says "This site can’t be reached".

But I have other problems which may be relevant: my Safari cache folder at /Users/jenny/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari remains permanently empty, even after visiting sites.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
There are only two types of users in the internet.
The ones which were hacked and the ones which don’t know they were hacked.

I just want to say, that there is no privacy if you are connected :)

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
Can you recap what the proper way is to block in the hosts file?

When I try on Chrome it says "This site can’t be reached".

I have the same problem. After adding ocsp.apple.com to my hosts file, Chrome says "This site can't be reached" but Safari and Firefox still load the page with "403 - Forbidden".

I tried restarting my Mac and clearing the DNS cache with `sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder` but nothing changes.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
I solved the problem with Safari/Firefox not blocking ocsp.apple.com!

You also need to add the following line to your hosts file:

::1 ocsp.apple.com

Reactions: jido and jennyp

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007

Hey Ternary that did it! Thanks! :) (Still don't know why my safari cache folder remains permanently empty though...)

Reactions: Ternary

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com
That’s the correct address to add in the hosts file, you’re supposed to add the address at the very last light below all existing text, you must have added it before the ::1 or something

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

Why did you add the ::1? That’s not how a domain is blocked in the hosts file

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

So do you mean that instead of adding "0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com" to the last line of the hosts file i should add "0.0.0.0 ::1 ocsp.apple.com"? Can you please explain the reasoning behind this

I just went ahead and checked Safari as i was asked above (I wasn't home earlier so couldn't check Safar) and it indeed shows 403 - Forbidden instead of the "site can't be reached" that i see in Google Chrome(Which is good), What does this mean? is the ocsp.apple.com not properly blocked? How come entering ocsp.apple.com into google chrome returns one type of message and in Safari a different message? I'm on MacOS Catalina

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Works for me.
How can i verify that 0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com is indeed blocking this MacOS service on my Mac? When i go to ocsp.apple.com in google chrome it returns a message "site can't be reached" which I’m assuming is good as it means it blocked properly in the hosts file however when i check the same address in Safari it shows "403 - Forbidden", Does this mean that ocsp isn't properly blocked on my Mac?

Last edited:

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
So do you mean that instead of adding "0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com" to the last line of the hosts file i should add "0.0.0.0 ::1 ocsp.apple.com"? Can you please explain the reasoning behind this

I just went ahead and checked Safari as i was asked above (I wasn't home earlier so couldn't check Safar) and it indeed shows 403 - Forbidden instead of the "site can't be reached" that i see in Google Chrome(Which is good), What does this mean? is the ocsp.apple.com not properly blocked? How come entering ocsp.apple.com into google chrome returns one type of message and in Safari a different message? I'm on MacOS Catalina
You add `::1 ocsp.apple.com` in addition to `0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com`, both on separate lines.

::1 is the ipv6 equivalent of 0.0.0.0. Safari tries to load the ipv6 version of ocsp.apple.com first, so without that extra line, Safari will load the page because it doesn't see that it's blocked.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
You add `::1 ocsp.apple.com` in addition to `0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com`, both on separate lines.

::1 is the ipv6 equivalent of 0.0.0.0. Safari tries to load the ipv6 version of ocsp.apple.com first, so without that extra line, Safari will load the page because it doesn't see that it's blocked.
I see, If i don't add "::1 ocsp.apple.com" and just keep "0.0.0.0 ocsp.apple.com" in the hosts file, Does that mean that MacOS is still using this background service that we are trying to block or is it only something that's displayed in Safari and is not important?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.