Regarding this 'who is the iPad Pro for' question...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I was listening to the latest podcast from Joshua Topolsky (used to be at Engadget and The Verge) who had John Gruber on as his guest. He was going through a litany of things he felt were wrong with Apple products. He mentioned the iPad Pro and said it was a bad product using the argument that he doesn’t’ know who it’s for. Well as an owner of one I could tell him that I love it because of the big, beautiful display which multi-tasking seems to be made for, the super-fast performance, and of course the Apple Pencil. Maybe the iPad Pro is nothing more than a bigger, better iPad. Maybe Apple has more changes to iOS for iPad to take advantage of the bigger display and A9X performance.

It seems to me this question is mostly coming from people whose preference is a laptop/desktop and who know the iPad Pro can’t replace (yet or maybe ever). Apple’s Macs come in different screen sizes, now iPhones do too. I don’t remember seeing these “who is it for” questions when the iPad mini launched. Why does the iPad Pro have to be anything more than the most powerful iPad with a bigger screen? Honestly now that I own one going back to an iPad Air feels incredibly cramped. I don’t think I could go back. When I need to be really mobile and portability is #1 priority I use my phone. When it’s not I’m using my iPad most of the time. Pretty simple really. Why is that a hard concept for some to understand?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My mom and my boss -- mom in her 70s, boss in his 80s -- both love the iPad Pro's large display. Very easy on their eyes, also easy to hit touch targets, especially in zoom display mode.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The problem is that it is nothing but a bigger iPad. Right now there is no substantial difference between the iPad Pro and the Air besides screen size and "missing features" the Air doesn't have, which are literally only speakers and the pencil.

What exactly can I do on a Pro that the Air is not powerful enough to do? As far as I can tell, they would have been much more honest by renaming the iPad lineup by screen sizes. The Pro should be "the 13" iPad", the Air should be "the "10 iPad", etc.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

If we're going to assume that "detachable screen tablet/laptop hybrids" are the future of computing, and if we are to believe what the media is saying (that the iPad Pro by itself outsold the Surface over the holidays), and then we start putting two and two together, I think we have to AT LEAST assume that there is a market for the iPad Pro. I don't care what Gruber, Mossberg, Dalrymple, or any of the other grumpy old men of tech blogging say, there is a significant crowd of people out there that was DYING for a device like an iPad Pro.

Is the Pro for me? No. But I recognize that it's great hardware, and that someday, it might replace the Macbook Pro that I'm currently typing on. Just because I don't have one or want one doesn't mean it's a "Bad Product". But it's not a shock to me if Topolsky really said that or if Gruber agreed with him or whatever. Those guys get more attention when they say things like that, and they thrive on that kind of attention. It's their livelihood. I pay very little attention to bloggers and their opinions because the more outlandish they sound the more money they make.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup, same here. Love my Pro, and my Air sits unused since I got the Pro.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 4, 2016 ---
    Not a matter of power, but more a matter of more screen space. Like, if you have a 13 inch laptop and a 15 inch laptop in the same configuration, some will prefer the 15 inch because of more screen space. So maybe you are right and Apple should just name their iPads by screen size rather than by monikers like "Pro," "Mini," etc. But these tech critics should know better than be hoodwinked by marketing naming ploys, and be able to recognize what the iPP is, and who it is for.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, but by the same token, my wife and kids absolutely love it and while I don't own one yet, they all want one.

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

Have you set your iPP up to display both the Apple and Google share price in real time?

8. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

With iOS in its current level of developement and the current lack of pro level apps, even if the iPad Pro is only a bigger iPad this early on, how is that a 'problem'? Seems there sure are allot of happy, satisfied customers out there enjoying their problem.

It's only a 'problem' for those out there that want it to be what it isn't ( a laptop) or what it can't be at this time. The rest are enjoying it for what it is.

9. Rogifan, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

So what? Isn't the 15" rMBP basically just bigger, more powerful than the 13" rMBP? Same for 27" iMac. But I guess I'm not hung up in this "pro" moniker in that it means anything other than a marketing term.

I guess it's a problem for people hung up on the "Pro" moniker. For me it's just a marketing term that doesn't mean much.

10. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

Techies tend to take things literally, even product names. "Pro" is just a name. If Apple had called it "iPad Deluxe" we wouldn't be having this discussion.

11. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

That's like saying a plane is nothing but a bigger bus - besides the size and "missing features" the bus doesn't have, which is literally only flying.

The pencil (and, together with it - a bigger canvas) makes a world of difference. What exactly you can do on a Pro that you can't do on Air? Well - this for example (credit Nicholas Kole):

[​IMG]

Here are some of Nicholas' works on iPad Pro:

http://nicholaskole.tumblr.com/post/137726006412/i-recently-pulled-the-trigger-on-something-ive

Or this:

There are numerous examples - but for creatives, the precision and the quality of the pencil, matched with a truly portable (and large) canvas is a true game changer. Not a boost, not an upgrade - a game changer. For creatives, the iPad Pro + Apple Pencil is one of the most revolutionary products that came from Apple in years. The only true competition to Wacom, the only real truly mobile art creation solution and the best digital pencil experience so far - on desktop or mobile.

For the rest - there's note taking and a beautiful large screen for media consumption. For some, it gets the job done with the Smart Keyboard while it's still easier to carry than a MacBook, but yeah, the advantage is diminished if you don't plan on using the pencil.

I think we all got used to the idea that Apple makes products for every category of user. Everyone can see the usability of an iPhone or a good MacBook. But not everyone needs a Mac Pro, for example. Same with iPad Pro. That's why Apple continues to make and sell the iPad Mini and the iPad Air. But regarding the "who's the iPad Pro for" question, the answer is simple: for people who use pencils and styluses in their work. And for people who love big tablets :)

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've said it before, the "Pro" suffix is Apple's attempt to squash rumors and expectations that a true 2-in-1 hybrid is coming soon. Technically, the iPad Pro should've been called "iPad Plus" (just as they did with the larger iPhone). But if they had called it "iPad Plus" speculation would continue of a "Pro" 2-in-1 hybrid. The problem is that people are getting hung up on "Pro" as if there is some industry standard definition of what "Pro" means.

If Apple HAD called it the "iPad Plus" I believe that it would've been better received, there would be less criticism, and better at setting customer expectations.

13. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I'm not a fan of the IPP.

However it's a crazy question, in the same way who's the pink iPhone for?
    I say if you want to use/buy it, go for it - but it doesn't mean as a device it's aimed directly or soley at one group or not at another for that matter.

14. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

This whole argument is an exact repeat of a similar argument that came back in 2008 when Apple released the first MacBook Air. The media gave it poor reviews because of the single USB port. It took until the second generation before they were able to squeeze more ports into it and make everyone happy. Eventually it became the best selling Mac.

In the case of the iPad Pro, nobody is complaining about the ports, or even the hardware. The complaint is about the software. Software changes over time, and you will see iOS evolve in the next couple of years to fully take advantage of the iPad Pro's hardware and screen size. If you don't have the patience, then pass this by and get another device. I tend to use my devices for a long time. I have my MacBook Pro since 2010 and I plan to use my new iPad Pro for at least 4-5 years. I am already happy with the device, but I'm sure I will become more happy over time as iOS becomes more robust over the next few years.

15. bensisko macrumors 65816

Those that are saying it's just a marketing thing are absolutely correct. It's stupid to be having an argument of "it is/isn't 'pro' gear". I do wish they would have called it the "iPad +" instead. Now you have bloggers running around and asking if we'll have the "iPhone Pro".

I would really like to believe that, but I don't think I can agree with that. Critics would be outspoken no matter what it was called, they just may have been forced to focus on criticizing the actual device instead of the moniker. I think people are all about the hate on the iPad Pro no matter what.

I'm absolutely sure that there were three big points Apple Considered when giving it the "Pro" status:
    1. To fall in line with other product conventions (MacBook Air, MacBook Pro - I'm actually surprised they didn't call the new MacBook the "MacBook Mini"...)
    2. To distinguish it as a more powerful device than the Air (larger screen, better speakers, Pencil support, more powerful processor, more RAM).
    3. To keep parity with the closest real competitor - the Surface Pro (just as I'm sure the Surface Book was named, partly as reference to 'notebook', but also to play to their competitor - the MacBook).
    Apple used to have very strict rules about product naming - "i" devices were consumer (computers for "home" use) while "Power" devices were Professional (computers for "work" use). When they changed to the Intel processor and started using "Mac", it muddied the waters. Now, it's somewhat inconsistent. They can't rename the iMac because there's too much brand recognition. Kinda wish they would get back to some consistency...

In the end, it doesn't matter - does the product do what you need/want or not - that's all that matters.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

people overreact to the word pro. It's more pro specs, features, speed than just a pro device for everything.

17. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Tech journalists don't get the value of tablets for art and notes: these functionalities are often completely overlooked in reviews
    --- Post Merged, Feb 4, 2016 ---
    Actually, there have been many hardware complaints--especially about lack of pointing functionality, now external storage and the apple ipp keyboard

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

That's an extreme exaggeration and not really even close to relating.

19. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

20. uwdude macrumors 6502a

What's keeping me from jumping to the pro is the reviews I'm reading about battery life and charging time. I use my Air 2 constantly as mainly my computer, and so I can't go to a shorter battery and super long charging time.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In my experience, the Pro's battery life is about the same as I get from my Air 2. The Pro does take longer to charge, but I wouldn't say it's "super long" compared to the Air 2. If you are in the habit of plugging your iPads when you go to bed, you shouldn't have any problems.

22. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Not really. The Pencil unlocks a whole new usage scenario and possibilities. Take away the Pencil, and you have a completely different product.

23. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

It's because of this:

image.png
    No matter how you spin it, no matter how many millions of iPads are still selling, this graphic shows a dying product. If this happened to any other company there would've been major changes in management and the product line. But Apple has been lazy because they have the iPhone and as long as they don't lose money they don't seem to care too much about the iPad. That's why some people don't understand why the iPad Pro even exists. The vast majority of users are not artists and don't care about the Pencil. And for taking notes they can use any iPad and any stylus. For them the iPad Pro really is only a bigger version of a dying product. Is that all what Apple can do to stop the iPad from falling? Make it bigger and more expensive, done?

Why didn't they do more to improve iOS and make it more pro?
    Why is the file management still a pain on such a powerful tablet?
    Why does Safari still has troubles reloading pages on a device with 4 GB of RAM?
    Why Apple did nothing to address the complaints of developers who are unwilling to do pro apps because of some stupid App Store policies?

And so on... Let's hope this year they'll do more, otherwise I'll ditch my iPad Pro and get a Surface Pro.

24. cardfan macrumors 65816

It's a bigger ipad for the majority who use ipads as purely consumption or entertainment. This isn't rocket science. Pencil and kb cover are optional but are considered Pro as well.

There's not a big distinction between a Macbook Pro and regular macbook. What can you do on the Pro macbook that you can't do on a non pro macbook? Usually a "pro" device is faster, and has a few more premium features.

These features might get people to actually start buying them again. But more than a few hundred and no way. At over a thousand? Definitely not. I feel like I way overpaid in the past on ipads considering how they wound up collecting dust. The thought of spending 829 again on an ipad? Ugh. Nope. Not happening. And here's Apple with their 1079 ipad. It's not gonna happen for many.

And yet, I tried one out. Even for someone who recklessly spends on apple gadgets, it didn't take long to realize it was just a bigger ipad that would eventually collect dust as well. This was a nobrainer take it back for a refund decision.

25. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Jesus man...this is seriously the strangest sentiment I've probably seen in all my years paying attention to electronics. Apple comes out with a larger iPad. Everyone's question is "who's it for"? Well who the hell were the other iPads for? List all the criteria if you like. Make up charts and diagrams and demographic groups. It's for any of those people that want a larger screen. Boom! Question resolved. So this shouldn't need to be asked ever again right? We're all on the same page?

On paper, the pro doesn't seem like a big deal. I sure as hell didn't think anything of it when it was first announced. 'I have an air 2. I'm happy with it. Why do I care about a larger iPad? I'm ok with the size now. A larger iPad must be for niche markets like artists or something'. Then I saw one in store and was floored by how gorgeous it was. Everything I did suddenly felt like it had a new life and that I wasn't constrained in size. It went from feeling like just a limited mobile device (air 2) to something that feels like a laptop (iPad pro) as far as experience and viewing area. I had my air 2 since launch and I feel like I've already watched more tv and movies on my pro than I ever did on my air 2. It used to be when I wanted a better viewing experience (which was quite often) I'd pull out the 'ol MacBook Pro and watch something on there. Not anymore. THAT is what makes the iPad pro special