Regarding Time Machine and Mail

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by di1in, Oct 18, 2012.

1. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

I am planning on doing a fresh install of OSX on my MBP. The reason is that the current version of Lion was done on top of a SL, and somethings not right - reboot and shutdown won't work, and whenever I connect a bluetooth device, the top right status bar crashes.

Is there a way to just make a backup of mail, and other settings (game save files, key chain, etc), without bringing in any garbage from my current 'Lion over SL' setup ?

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

should work if you use migration assistant. do a time machine backup to an external HDD and migration assistant to restore your user info from this backup and you should be fine. Alternatively you could try installing mountain lion over top of lion and see if that fixes your problems. When you download mountain lion just be sure to take the file it downloads and copy it to your desktop before you install it, that way it will still be there after install and you can use it to make a bootable install disc in case you do need to do a fresh install afterwards