Regarding torrents on a mac, probably easy answer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yumid, May 11, 2014.

1. Yumid macrumors member

So I download a lot of trusted torrents from a handful of only a few torrent providers and I have never had a problem.

I usually used BitTorrent and pirate bay on a PC and now that I am on a Mac I am trying to use Transmission and Piratebay.

I am still grabbing torrents off the same providers I would have before, only this time for reason SOME of my torrents are downloading as a paper document file and it won't let me open them with VLC? They're still the same size as the video file should be, they just won't open with a video player and the icon beside the file in the folder is a document icon?

Help haha

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Click on a couple of those then do a command-i to get info and tell use what the file extension is. It may be that some of your video file extensions are associated with a document reader app.

3. Yumid thread starter macrumors member

hey is this what you mean?

the.voice.s06e20.720p.hdtv.x264-2hd.mkv

edit: in b4 lol he's watching the voice

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... exactly. :)

I think the issue is you do not have an app on your Mac that can play a MKV file. Download and install the app VLC from here.

Once you have the app installed do the command-i thing on that file and in about the middle of the pane you will see a section called "Open with".... select VLC in the dropdown then click "change all". That will make all MKV files open with VLC video player and you should be all set.

(The Voice ?? :eek: LOL)

5. Yumid thread starter macrumors member

yah I did download VLC i have already watched a movie on it actually.

And i know right, I'm just really into music and its not like American Idol haha, these people are actually crazy talented.

edit: i just dragged the file into vlc and dropped it there now it works. Thanks man. Also thank you for drag and drop apple haha

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

LOL.. just teasing. That is actually a good show my friend. :D