Regarding Upgrade Eligibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by granny shifter, Jul 17, 2010.

1. granny shifter macrumors member

I have a quick question regarding upgrade eligibility. The primary line on our account (my brother's) is eligible for a full subsidized upgrade. He bought a 3GS at launch last year. I understand that a primary line is eligible to upgrade when the plan is above a certain amount. All of my family members have iPhones. I bought an iPhone 4 on launch. As of today, my line is the primary line. Will I be eligible for the iPhone 5 next year at the fully subsidized price? My brother doesn't care about upgrading this year. Thanks.

2. pugnut macrumors 6502a

You can check AT&T online customer service for eligability or you can dial *639# from your phone and it will send a text back with your upgrade date.

3. granny shifter thread starter macrumors member

I checked online and it says 2/2012 for me. My brother is eligible right now for an Iphone 4. Might this change next year after paying for a years worth of service?

4. hlysmksbtmn macrumors member

Iphone 5 will probably come out in june/july. Not likely that they would move your eligibility up by more than 6 months.

5. granny shifter thread starter macrumors member

Is this so even if I am now the primary account holder? My brother was telling me that I should have done an upgrade swap. I don't know what would happen though. He might be stuck with a two year contract. We are paying quite a bit and that is why the primary account holder is eligible for a new Iphone every year. I'm hoping that this is transferred to my line.

6. hlysmksbtmn macrumors member

Ya if u did an upgrade swap he would have had a new 2 yr contract. He was eligible his year because AT&T made a special upgrade exception this year for the iPhone 4 (basically they made everyone eligible 6 months early but who knows if they will do that next year)

I also swapped my primary line. But I'm not eligible until 2012 and I also have an expensive family plan with multiple iPhones.

7. granny shifter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification. I hope AT&T produces the same deal as they did this year. I'm guessing it might have to do with competition against Verizon or something.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've had a new iPhone every year since 2007 and it seems that AT&T and Apple really want my business. Having a Family Plan with 5 iPhones and unlimited data; it seems they'll do anything for my money...:eek:

9. Seattleite macrumors member

Seattleite

We switched from Verizon to AT&T last Oct so that we could get iPhones. We got two, then later added two non-iphones/lines to the account as well. I did not expect to be able to upgrade at a reasonable price as we had not had the phones long, but when I checked, they said I could switch from the 3gs to the iPhone 4 for just $199, which I did :D