regarding using the HDMI-out on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Magnanimoose, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Magnanimoose macrumors newbie

I am interested in watching movies on my HDTV via the HDMI-out port on the rMBP, and I am wondering what the preferred method is, regarding keeping the laptop closed or open.

My guess is that it's better for the machine to be open when possible because it seems like it would help to keep temperatures down, but I'm conflicted because while it's open and running a movie full screen, it's having to power two screens simultaneously, thus probably increasing its workload and strain.

Which way is advisable?

2. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Personally if I'm only using it to watch a movie and nothing else, I would have it closed.

1. Having it closed means that the GPU is only outputting 1920x1080, not 1920x1080 + 2880x1800. Less strain on the GPU.

2. Less strain on GPU means less heat and also the rMBP has vents on the side so having it closed should be fine. In fact, fans shouldn't run at all if it's just Intel HD 4000 + HD movie.

3. Magnanimoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes perfect sense. Question answered, closed it is-- thank you!

4. jlin615 macrumors regular

Doesn't it put the system to sleep when the lip closes? Then use a external mouse or keyboard to wake it up?

5. RealEyes macrumors regular

Yes, you have to have an external mouse/keyboard to use it closed, wether it's wireless or not. Keeping the lid open won't let it 'cool' better, the exhaust comes out the back anyway. Keeping it open makes it hotter because it's running two screens.