Regarding warranty

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dendummenumse, Feb 12, 2009.

1. dendummenumse macrumors newbie

I installed windows through bootcamp on my unibody MBP and it was running relatively stable for a month or so.

When the fan started making loud (really loud) noises I sent it to a good friend of mine that support these. He said that I should beware with running windows like this as he didnt know if Apple would support any hardware malfunctions that they deemed a result of running windows.

Anyone has any experience with this? whether bootcamp windows is supported by apple or break their terms of use in terms of firmware? and is this only for specific drivers? (I ran the laptop drivers released on nvidias website, rest was from Apple themselves) (and even perhaps what might have resulted in the noisy fan?)

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I doubt very seriously that there would be a problem in that in the first place BootCamp is provided by Apple specifically for the purpose you are using it for- it is not like it was some third party system hack.

I would first want to make sure that it is indeed a problem caused by your Windows installation (you don't mention if the fan trouble is evident when in OSX). The easiest way to troubleshoot that is to backup your Windows installation using WinClone then to run the BootCamp Assistant again and select the option to restore your disk to a single partition to simply remove the Boot Camp partition to see if the problem persists. If it does, it would be indicative of a hardware level problem- and secondly since BootCamp had been removed you would not have to be concerned about seeking Apple repair. With your description of the only different driver you used being the video driver, I would myself first suspect that the problem is not a result of your BootCamp installation myself.